My first cutout with a twist

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tiso_us, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

Many months ago, I posted here concerning bee's that have taken up residents in my camper, first, i had to get a beehive, so i built one. now i've never did a cut out before, so this was my first time.

bee3.jpg IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2514.JPG

Here is the twist....as i was cutting out the combs, I could not find the Queen, I've might have gotten her, but i was not sure and was not paying attention while placing the combs into the frames. but the good story is i had retrieved two queen sacks which i had placed at the Vary top of the box (where the feeding hole is). anyway, I came back the next day, and noticed one of the Queen sacks was empty. I figured, since i had a Queen Excluder in place, she would not be able to climb into the main hive, so i lifted the top box off and behold, there she sat.

I took the excluder and flipped it over. A few days later i was watching the bee's come and go when i noticed the Queen came out on the landing, stood there and smiled as if she approves with her new home (OK, i added the smile part), she turned around and went back into the hive.

As far as the other Queen goes, I have no clue as to what happened to her, She might have escaped thru the top worker exit.

3 weeks later, I was doing a hive inspection and noticed one of the cutout combs was about 98% covered with brown caped cells.

I did have some hive beetles, but the bee's was doing such a good job of keeping them cleaned out, I didn't have the heart to interfere with their routine....for now anyway.

However, as a newbe at this, I have questions....

I'm not seeing any drones, at first, when the queen hatched, i had drones coming and going, but i don't see any now. should i be worried?.

The bee's was starting to build on the plastic foundation and then stopped, for what reason i don't know. it appears that the combs from the cutout had some honey in them, now they are empty, should i replace them with new foundation sheets?.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I wouldn't be too worried about the drones, if they want or need them they will raise some.
    If the bees stopped drawing out foundation it could be that there is no flow on at the moment,also suggested by the comment about no honey in the cut-out comb now. You might consider feeding them sugar syrup.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those were queen cells not queen sacks, good description though.

feeding them some 1 to 1 syrup will stimulate comb building also.

Sounds like you did a good job for your first cut out.

4. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

I have kept a jar of honey that have not passed my standards for consumption, this was to be used during winter season if they needed it...i'd like to to refer as 'scrapes'. these scrapes are leftover from frame sizing and trimmings. i saved the honey from it.

so, to get them started good would be to provide them with sugar water?. OK, i'll try that.

Thanks

5. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

Ok, i fed the bee's with a mason jar of the scrap honey i had left over, those ladies are going to town on it, there is bee's everywhere. :thumbsup::grin:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Feeding with honey is infinitely better than feeding with sugar syrup----just so long as the honey came from a healthy hive. What seems like "scrap" is a delicacy for the bees. :thumbsup:

7. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

Followup: Good flow of bees now. I average about 1-3 bees a second coming and going. bees are sealing around the entrance (the entrance block of wood).

Bees with the queen where in the second box from the bottom, moved them to the first box, now they are storing pollen in the second box with a few brown capped cells.

Noticed on a couple of times, a rubber band that i placed around the cut combs was sticking out of the entrance, the bees had chewed it up and was attempting to dispose of it.

I guess that's it for now....
    but i must say, if you get stress out for whatever reason, spend some time with your bees, it's vary soothing.

Oh, before i forget...thanks guys for the advice, i appreciate it.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tiso, it sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a "certified, addicted" beekeeper. :thumbsup:
    Now that you are looking at hives from the inside out, I'd recommend that you get a hold of some beekeeping books, folders, etc. You'll be amazed how interesting they can be to read now that you've got your own family of bees in a hive. :smile:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have things going your way!

Just have to ask though, how were you feeding them the honey in the mason jar?

If it was just open feeding (outside of the hive) you might have been feeding your neighbors bees also.

10. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

I was concerned with that also, i managed to watch them and noticed they were attacking other bees that happen to stray to close to the hive and running them off, while others were taken it into the hive. but they had a half quart jar consumed by the next morning.

11. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

UPDATE: I have visual confirmation of Queen in the bottom box. also counted 2 frames this time of brown capped cells, also a single Drone cell. Second box up from the bottom, the frames are glued to the first box....took awhile to get them separated but managed to get them apart.

I found a sure fire way to keep the honey feeding going, although i could just feed them sugar syrup....the wife gets these packs of honey when she goes out to get supper, she grabs these packs...hey it's free!. anyway, when i go to check up on them i take a pack or two for a treat.

I ended up feeding the bee's due to the fact during the hot season we all experienced had killed all the local clover, i had no choice.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like the bee space between your top box and bottom box is a little shy. When that happens they can glue the top and bottom bars together. If the space is too great, they will attach them together with burr comb. 3/8" is what you are looking for.
    Also, don't know about feeding those little packets of honey. I don't know if that is safe or not, transmission of potential disease. I don't know what steps would have been taken.
    Congrats on finding the queen, always a good feeling! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Tiso:

Sounds like you're doing good. I would stay away from the little packs of honey though. Most of the time it's not honey you're getting, but "honey flavored sauce." This is nothing more than high frutcose corn syrup to which a small amout of honey has been added for flavor. If it is honey, it's probably imported which means pasteurized and micro-filtered. I don't even eat it.

14. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

Wow! thanks for the advice on the packs of honey, never knew that info. if it was free packs, it no telling whats in them. :thumbsup::smile:

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I never knew it either, until I became a beekeeper. After all my research (much of it right here on the forum) I learned to read the fine print. Not just on the free packs either. Much of the "honey" you buy in the larger chain grocery stores is the same thing, even if it is pure honey-it has been pastuerized and microfiltered, which removes all the food value. All you're buying is liquid sweetener. There are numerous articals on the internet about imported honey, much of it from China (illegal here, but they get around that by trans-shipping it to Indonesia or Viet-nam and re-labeling it). Just more fascinating things you learn when you get into these little critters.