My first day !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by meandmyhoney, Mar 29, 2012.

1. meandmyhoney

meandmyhoney New Member

Well who ever said they have never been stung I just do not want to hear from you LOL !!!! Everything going as planned today hiving my bees. After hiving bees and closing down the hatch I realized the cork was still in the Queens cage. At this point only stung twice " I can live with that as a learning experience ". Returned to hive to remove Queen and cork and it then turned into a swarm. Unfortunately I was unable to remove the cork and finally had to push the cork inside the cage and caulk with a marsh mellow. I hope this works because I have five additional war wounds due to my mistake. I also had several hundred bees outside the top feeder making it impossible for me to close the hive. After dark I was able to work most of the girls and boys to the entrance of the hive then filled the feeder 1/2 full with sugar water. WOW what a experience !!!!!!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh the story I could tell <but you really don't want to hear those.

welcome to the forum.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like a first you'll never forget. :grin:
    When you pushed the cork inside, will the queen be able to get around it when the bees have dispensed with the marshmellow?

By the way, Welcome to our home here. :hi:
    This forum is a friendly one as you will soon discover. We all learn and help when we can.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Just be sure to check on that queen cage in two days to make sure she got released and is not held prisoner by the cork. Well I can say I have had worse experiences than that, they were just showing you a little love is all. You didn't say if you used a smoker or not, a little smoke goes a long ways most times. When you get stung take the smoker and puff it on the sting site, this will mask the pheromones and others will not come to sting you at the same spot.

Good luck to you and the bees!!

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

First wounds:smile: Part of beekeeping. Welcome and good luck.:thumbsup:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome! I am entering this new venture with some trepidation. I receive my bees Tuesday and not looking forward to the stinging part (I know, wussy,,,,:roll:). Your first account is not helping my anxiousness, ha! Were you wearing a suit/veil? Welcome just the same....

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

I get my bees in a couply weeks and am praying everything goes well with them, going to call them Tuesday to see if I may be able to get them sooner, I hope. Have to drive 150 miles to pick them up so will be late in afternoon when I get to put in hive.

kebee

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum. If you want to read about getting stung on a first experience, you're welcome to read my blog entry. I don't wish it on anyone.

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome aboard, the first of many stings to come (if you're anything like me) :)

12. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Don't feel bad about the cork. I did the same thing. Had the HORRIFYING realization about an hour after completing the installation. Lucky for me, I didn't have quite the experience you did. Went back into the hive later this afternoon and got the cork out with no major issues.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

unusual in that there seems to be a lot of reports this years of 'frisky' girls that arrives as package bees. I wonder if the syrup cans that come with the package are not empty? a small bit of syrup in some spray form might help here.

14. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the forum!