My first hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Duck1968, May 14, 2010.

1. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I started my first hive last week with bees from my cousin and a NWC queen. I left the bees queenless for 2 days then put the queen in and released her after 2 more days. They seem to be following the comb guides on the foundationless frames I made. I cut the top bars to a point for the comb guide. I thought they would take more syrup than they have, but it has been cold and rainy the last week. And they seem to be flying a lot when the weather allows.

I was hoping to start with 2 hives but the hard winter took 6 of the 7 hives my cousin had. I feel very blessed that he would give me bees when he had only the 1 hive to split. All’s good so far.

Brian

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

keep us posted.

6 or 7 is a pretty severe winter loss number.

3. Vance

Vance New Member

Congrats, I hope all goes well for you. Keep us updated.

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Congratulations on your first hive! It's very exciting to get that very first hive going and to watch them from day to day. I hope they do well for you!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you got a pretty good cousin. Congrats on the hive and hope they do well for you.

G3

6. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I checked the hive yesterday and they seem to be doing well. I found the queen and she is lay a good pattern. They are building comb on 3 frames and have some sealed brood. Hopefully when the brood starts to hatch they will build comb a little faster. For starting from scratch with no wax in the box I think they are doing pretty good.

Brian

7. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I finally had chance to check on my hive again and I still think they are building comb a little slow. It has been over 2 months and they still have 4 empty frames in the 1st box. The population in the hive doubled in the last three weeks and the rain has slowed down, so hopefully they are on their way now. I will have to watch a little closer now so I can get the second box on at the right time.

Brian

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are you still feeding?

9. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

No, they only took 1 Qt. of syrup. The next 2 Qts. I put on they did not touch, so I did not put any more on.

There is alot of clover blooming in the road ditches, both white and yellow sweet clover. The one neighbor has been slow getting his alfalfa cut. 80 acers has been in bloom for a week and half now. 300 acers of soy beans with in a mile of the hive should be in full bloom next week, so I don't think they have any shortage of necter or pollen.

I guess I should have elaborated more on what I started with. My cousin gave me a shake of bees that made a cluster about the size of a softball. They were put in a 10 frame box with 11 foundationless frames and a caged queen. So after some more thought I guess they are doing pretty good for how small they started out. I just had visions of grander of being able to split them again in early July.

Brian

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A softball size shake of bees is not much more than one deep frames worth. I am surprised they have made it this far, those poor girls were working their tales off trying to get the first round of brood hatched off. Sounds like they will make it with lots of blooms happening in your area.

If you had some drawn comb to give them it would give an extra boost also. Ask your cousin if he could spare a couple of frames of empty drawn comb.

I think you have done a good job so far, good luck with them.

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

:confused: How do you get 11 frames in a 10 frame hive :confused: .

:mrgreen: Al

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

big hammer!! :lol: :lol:

13. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I made all my own wooden ware. So when I cut out the side bars for the frames I cut them slightly smaller so that 11 frames would fit in a10 frame box.

Brian