My first honey of the season

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Noticed my strongest hive bearding today, covering the entire front of the two deep brood chambers. With the temperature in the low 70's, I suspected the bees were overcrowded. I suited up and fired up the smoker and found 8 and 1/2 frames of capped honey in the medium honey super.

I was not expecting a full honey super this early in the season.

I replaced the entire super with an empty one with all new foundation and no drawn comb. The honey is in the freezer waiting for a more convenient time to be extracted.

What would you have done different if anything?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Why save the honey in the freezer, you could just as well put on the new super and leave the old one on top of it. Assuming that honey is still coming in, the bees would continue to fill the unfilled combs and draw comb on the new foundation. If the honey flow has ended, the bees won't build even without the honey super there.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would have rotated the capped and uncapped frames in the box of honey, waited a spell and then collected a full box.

at other times I would have... since I run 9 frames in a 10 frame box.... after getting foundation pulled (10 frames to the box) I will take one frame of not quite totally capped honey and use this as bait in the next box of foundation I slap on.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I plan on adding the 1 and 1/2 uncapped frames to a swarm hive I captured this past week after I give them time to settle in a little.

5. bamabww

bamabww New Member

So are you saying if I had left the almost full super on the hive I would have needed to move it on top of the empty super instead of just adding an empty super on top of the almost filled one?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would have taken the two uncapped frames, put them in your box of foundation as bait to draw them up, set that right on top of your brood chamber and then set your capped box on top.
    Unsure of why you popped it into the freezer, unless you have to deal with Hive Beetle or something that I am unaware of. Thankfully that is something we don't have to deal with up here (yet).

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Wayne,
    1. Yes.
    2. Your question inspired me to post a question about the methods beeks use for supering. I put it under the "general beekeeping" topic, so we can both find out what people generally do.

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

An older beekeeper told me if you don't leave it on the hive then put it in the freezer until you can extract it. He said it keeps all the other flying pest from invading it as well as kills any SHB present. I done that last year and it worked out okay for me.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne,
    i also super as tecumseh, perry and efmesch. i don't have shb to deal with, but if your hive is as strong as you have described, the girls will take care of the pests.

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Wayne,

Taking that full super off frightened me.

Honey is the bees's food reserve. If you have a spell of bad weather, a strong hive can need a lot of stores. I prefer to leave the honey on. The honey is there if needed and if not needed the bees can carry on filling/drawing a new super.

I can't wait for our long cold Spring to finish so that I can start working my hives.

11. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Appreciate your concern but just over 5 weeks ago I swapped the bottom deep with the top deep and there was almost 8 full frames of honey they didn't use over the winter. We had a very light winter and a very early spring, probably 6 weeks early. So the bees have plenty of stores and with everything blooming now, they have plenty to choose from.

Thanks and good luck with your hives.

12. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I am just the other side of Huntsville from you, and also have full capped frames. I took a little last week.

(In my case, I just have a couple of backyard hives, so I can drip harvest one frame on a broiler rack without a lot of trouble.)