This has been one of those terrible days that one has to write off as a "learning experience" I picked up a queen at noon today. So I went back home to make up a nuc to put her in. I could not find the queen, so I just picked five frames of mixed brood pollen and honey to and hoped for the best. Really finding an unmarked queen in 3 deeps full of bees has never been my forte. All this went well, but then the trouble started. It was very hot out, so I did not want the Nuc to overheat. I brought them in to the basement and went back to work. When I got home around 6, there were about a 100 bees bouncing off the windows and another 100 dead on the carpet. There was a little corner on the entrance screen that was loose and they squeezed out. So I caught all the live bees in a fish net and put them outside to find their way back to their home hive. As if that wasn't enough disaster for one day, I decided to mark my new queen. I'd practiced on a couple of drones, but I guess I was nervous with the queen. First she got away on me, bounced off the overhead light and fell to the floor. I gathered her up and went to put a dab of nail polish on her thorax. Too much got on there and ran down into the neck area. Chances are pretty good that queen is toast. Makes me quite sad that I fumbled so badly. The only bright side of the day is that the deep super I put on the hive 10 days ago already weighs around 60 pounds. The girls have been busy. In the morning I'll introduce the queen and cross my fingers that she makes it. I have another coming in two weeks if this operation fails.