My first Spring flow wasn't very good

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crackerbee, Jun 21, 2012.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Well like most Florida keeps,my Spring nectar flow was less the expected.I had 7 strong colonies out of 9 total hives bring in next to nothing for the Spring flow.7 hives that I thought would bring in a good crop of honey,barely filled a few frames in each hive.I think most of the lack of nectar was the result of little to no rain March,April and May,resulting in little to no flowers blooming.It's really disappointing considering all I spent on sugar to keep them going through the Winter and into the Spring.
    Now we're in a dearth which will probably go till mid Sept. when the Fall flow starts.I really had higher hopes for more honey,seeing as I had dozens of orders lined up from the few that was lucky enough to get some of last Falls honey,and were ready to buy this years crop.
    After going through my hives today I can already see that feeding is going to be must at least through August.
    It's not really what a first year keep wants to realize,but I'm not giving up and will just have to feed through the Summer in hopes that the Fall flow is a good one.
    All my hives(from what I can tell)are disease free and are thriving very well(with the exception of no nectar)and should make it through the Summer with no problem.
    I'm sure I'm speaking for most Fla. beekeepers saying this,because we've all been victim to the lack of rain March,April and May.
    This was a big let down ,but I'm gonna just take it on the chin and hope for the best in the Fall.

Nuff said

2. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I'll encourage you, if you encourage me.

I'm going to still a frame or two from the brood boxes later in the year, but I'm not expecting much either. I am in Oklahoma. There has been rain to the north, south, east & the west. We get brushed by it, but never get the soaking that we really need. Things are still blooming, but the heat is supposed to set in next week, & that will dry things out for sure. Good luck!

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

So, how do you like farming so far? :wink:

Keep at it. The first couple of years everything was fine here, then came the drought and all the joys it brought. :roll: The nice thing: hope springs eternal. It may be a little better here this year, but I'll wait and see. Things will get better.

And anyway, you still have the joy of playing with, and watching, your bees.

Walt

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Chin up, fall flow will be great:thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first what Walt said...

and then this snip..
    I think most of the lack of nectar was the result of little to no rain March,April and May,resulting in little to no flowers blooming.It's really disappointing considering all I spent on sugar to keep them going through the Winter and into the Spring.

tecumseh:
    you have now likely learned one of the most important lesson in beekeeping and as such thing go the lesson was not free. there is (in many many places) an essential lag time between rains and when you expect the nectar flow to obtain any real honey crop. feeding ahead of the flow to build population ahead of the curve is essential in a lot of places to obtain any significant surplus but if the rains do not materialize there is still no surplus to capture.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Thanks for the encouragement all,I can always count on the folks here on the forum for that.:thumbsup:

Now where did I put that "BIG"bag of sugar?:lol:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

cracker,
    i am in the same boat...:grin:
    just opposite circumstances, TOO MUCH RAIN. unusually warm weather kicked off an early start in march. the dandelion bloom was pretty thin, white clover as well. then the rains came and the nectar dearth started. the queens shut down. my bees started using some of the honey they had put away in the supers(better than me feeding sugar syrup). the plants i would normally see blooming were non-existent. we are just now getting some much needed sunshine, dry weather, and forage, and it is the end of june. i would normally have anywhere between 2 and 4 supers on hives by now, and some comb honey frames ready, not this year and will most likely not have any comb honey and thinking this will most likely be one of my most disappointing years for a honey crop as well.

i hear ya clucking! and am hoping to see the flows come on in july and august. hang in there, your bees are healthy and thriving, that's the good part. it will turn around, if not this year, there's always next year :grin: