My First Swarm Call 20 Days Into This Venture!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Apr 23, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It has only been 20 days since hiving my first bees ever and already had an opportunity to collect a swarm. I had told the sheriff's department dispatch I would like to be on their swarm list but this referral came from a friend that works at the animal shelter who knew I just started keeping bees. The young lady said a friend put them in a cooler and set them in a field but they came back to her shed. She called an exterminator to remove them today and was told he would kill them and it would cost $140. She did not have the money and really did not want them killed...pleasant to my ears :smile:. She said they were hanging low on a chair. I have never done this before and really, other than thumbing through a couple of threads in the swarms sections here, I had very little clue as what to do. I had plans to make a special box for swarms later this week. But, I quickly put together a box using a deep and a bottom screen board and the inner cover and lid. I also brought a vent super along. I am glad I had wooden ware already made up for adding to my hives and swarm possibilities. I will try to avoid using duct tape again because a few bees became stuck and it was hard to get their feet removed from it without hurting them. It's hard to see the swarm under that medal siding sheet but it was about 3/4 size of a basketball. It is on the bottom just right of middle under the metal sheet. I lifted the sheet of metal up and over the box and gave it a couple of shakes. I then turned the metal over and positioned it so it would help funnel them in the hive opening. They marched right in. I waited for a little while to catch the stragglers but it seemed like I would never get them all. I inventoried the biggest concentration of them left over, about 25-30, to make sure the queen was not left behind. There were 5 or 6 drones and the rest workers. I drove them home and set the hive up. I put some pieces of pollen patty and a syrup bag on top of the frames. It was difficult to look for the queen because they were so bunched up. Even though it was sunny today, it was very windy and a little chilly. Any suggestions on what I am supposed to look for tomorrow and following days with this swarm and/or any ways to help convince them to stay? Surely I need to make sure there is a queen and if not order one right? Also, are the bees from swarms usually a little darker in color? They may just fly off but dang that was exciting. No stings!
    0423121438.jpg 0423121439.jpg 0423121446.jpg 0423121459.jpg 0423121644.jpg 0423121644a.jpg 0423121644b.jpg 0423121712a.jpg 0423121712b.jpg 0423121738.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only thing you want to do tomorrow is get the empty box off. They need to be in one box only until they get it nearly full.

Then leave them alone for a week. After 7 days, look for eggs.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee...I must have been thinking that syrup bag would keep the inner cover from closing. That is about 3/4 gallon of syrup..will that last 7 days? I am almost tempted to take that off tonight...

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can feed them until they can forage, but fill the upper box with crumpled newspaper or other material. They will hang comb from the highest place they can get to. Force them to stay in the frames.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! I just returned from the bee yard and the inner cover fit very well on top...took the medium off...that is a long quiet and dark 1/4 mile walk...beautiful clear night, lots of stars and a very thin sliver of a moon rocking on its back...

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good job :thumbsup:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

New moon filling on a cold night. Perfect night for 'coon huntin'. :D

Now you have them setting right. Leave them for a week to get settled, then look for stores and eggs.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ditto what Iddee said!

Best to leave a swarm alone for several days until they settle, if you bother them too much they might abscond on you.

Great job on catching them, easier than a package any day eh?!?!

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yes, much easier than a package G, thanks! I was about to order some packages yesterday morning but decided against it hoping to catch some swarms first...ha! Good things do come to those that wait.....

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Great job, blueblood!!! FREE BEES!!!!:thumbsup:

Seeing them march in is neat isn't it!!!! :grin:

Ed

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Ed! Yes, it is very neat. I understand that it is a good thing from what I amlearning about fanning. I can only assume that is a response to the call for all to join the queen and crew?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Swarming bees are happy bees. Why sting?
    Eventually you'll learn "bee-talk". If you hear them buzzing the right way, you'll know they've got their queen. As Iddee and G3 said, wait a while.
    By the way, feeding isn't so important for a swarm--they come with a reserve of food in their bellies and don't have any brood to feed. They'll build when the flowers inspire them. But if you're really impatient to have them build, then I guess you may as well feed them.:wink:

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow, learn something every day...the bees simply never cease to amaze me...