My First Swarm Call

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by d.magnitude, Jun 16, 2011.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Last night I got my first swarm call ever; and it couldn't have gone better. The house was about 10 minutes away from my place, and the bees were hanging on a branch of a bush about 6" off the ground. Everything went as smooth as could be, and I'm thrilled to finally have done one!

Most interesting of all- the home owners said they came from a colony that had been living in their wall for many years. Turns out, their son used to keep bees and decided to make an OB hive out of their "living wall". They took me in to show me, and sure enough, there was about an 8"x8" hole cut in the interior wall w/ plexiglass on top, so you could view the bees and comb inside. The old couple didn't seem too interested in doing a trap out (that might be beyond my scope still anyway); I think they've gotton used to cohabitating with their houseguests. Pretty cool, I thought.

-Dan

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Neat story. Glad you got the bees. I wouldn't requeen them. You may have a resistant survivor genetics there.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Would have liked to of seen the pics of the ob hive in the wall.

Hope you told them to call you every year to catch a swarm off of them.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A free observation hive, in their house, and the old couple are cool with it. I like it! I give them two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I definitely want to leave their genetics in there and see how they do. These guys are survivors. But the thought crossed my mind- Do the bees in the wall have an advantage because they have only one wall (the outside) exposed to the cold all winter? I'm sorry I didn't have my camera with me.

They said they've only seen the bees swarm once before, about 5 years ago. I'm sure they've swarmed much more often than that, and they just missed it. I definitely left my number; I wouldn't be surprised to see more bees from these guys in the future.

The window into the wall was cool, but I would have made it much larger ;)

-Dan

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Could set out a swarm trap in their yard.

The son used to keep bees eh?!?! Well did you pop the question......"Got any bee junk sitting around you want rid of?"

Never can tell what is stored in the barn or shed. Look at Perry's post where he dug out some good stuff.

7. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

No I didn't ask, but I plan on stopping back there to give them a jar of honey. Perhaps I'll ask about any "junk" equipment then.

I'll scope out the yard to see if there's a good spot for a swarm trap. I'd rather have one in place a little earlier next season.

-Dan