My first swarm call..

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by reidi_tim, May 25, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I got my first swarm call today..... every other call I have had was for a cut out so I was excited for an easy catch. Or so I thought. The queen was across the street on the side walk with a group of bees. So tell me where I went wrong: seen plenty of swarm captures that have went without a sting. Got the queen first and marked her then put her in a clip, then went to gathering the rest of the swarm. I had her in a 5 frame with only 1 frame off foundation and was moving the rest of the bees into the nuc. Going back to the veil issues I have had,it came back to haunt me I took 5-6 stings to the chin and cheek , before I broke out the duct tape. My guess is that the swarm was pissy because they misplaced the queen. I put the queen in a clip and used another box to gather the bees in and then shake them into the nuc. Darkness was coming on pretty fast so I did my best to get as many of the bees in the nuc. I probably should have waited longer but I was feeling pretty bad from the stings and wrapped them up and headed home.
    2013-05-24_19-23-12_64.jpg 2013-05-24_19-23-15_69.jpg 2013-05-24_19-23-17_370.jpg 2013-05-24_20-07-41_860.jpg 423911_10200362231832370_1099265547_n.jpg 936938_10200362231152353_877628578_n.jpg 941628_10200362234632440_2055723031_n.jpg 984218_10200361819382059_393917572_n.jpg

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

My thoughts :-

I was surprised to see so few bees around the Q. I would have expected quite a ball of them over the Q. I suspect there was another Q in the large cluster on the tree.

A recently arrived swarm is usually placid. If they hadn't been able to find a new home for a few days they get stingy. Perhaps the locals had been messing before you arrived.

Are you washing your suit in a fragranced washing product ? My combined hat, jacket and veil has two horizontal semi-rigid metal rings keeping the veil away from my face.

Hope these thoughts help.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I suspect there was another Q in the large cluster on the tree.""

DITTO

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My thought as well.
    You look like you belong on the Red Green show! :lol:
    A for perseverance.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My thoughts also, two queens. The one in the tree could have been the prime swarm and the one in the road was an after swarm with a virgin (although the one in the tree could have been an after swarm also).

Way to use that duct tape!! :thumbsup:

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Two Q, I thought about that. Let me back up a little. Got the call at 6:40 the guy was mowing and saw the small cluster on his side walk. We had just left the market so a quick trip to the house to unload and pick up the puppy. Arrived on scene at 7:15 according to a neighbor the swarm had happened around 6:00.
    "A recently arrived swarm is usually placid"
    Not in this case ( have some mild swelling on the right side of my face that goes against that )
    "Are you washing your suit in a fragranced washing product ?"
    No use purex clear and borax.
    Back to the double queen after I marked the queen and put her in a clip and into the box the bees lined up and marched in. There where also alot of bees in the tree that I moved with a cardboard box since it was easier to handle. When we got home I let them settle in ( because I did not have any frames with foundation in them ) When I put the last 4 frames in the bees where all over the clip released the queen and put them to bed. So here is a little video of the bees this morning.[video=youtube;o4FiW4x9pHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FiW4x9pHg[/video]

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So if there is 2 or 3 queens would that explain the bunch on the outside of the hive and the group in the grass?? What should I do? I moved them into a 10 frame because of the # of bees.. oh help please:beg:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

#1. You need to spend more time with the bees. I think the reason you got stung was because you were so afraid of the bees that they could smell it. Animals sense things like that by sight, smell, and sound. Spend more time with them and relax. Then they will be more docile.

#2 They will eventually choose the queen they want and the others will vanish. Give them feed and, if available, a frame of brood. With or without the nurse bees. Doesn't matter.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

The bees in the swarm will have loaded up honey before they left the parent colony.

There is a school of thought which says you should not feed a swarm for 48 - 72 hours and give them 1 frame of drawn comb and frames of foundation. Swarms have a strong wax making and building urge. The idea is that the bees will digest the honey (and any disease spores) to provide the energy for wax production.

Just another viewpoint. :think:

10. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Congrats on your capture. The first one is exciting for sure, (and the second, and third etc). As soon as I had foundation ready, I'd place them in a 10 frame deep with a queen excluder between the deep and the bottom board. Leave the queen excluder for a week and check for eggs. If eggs are found, remove the queen excluder and feed them 1 to 1 sugar water until they quit taking it. JMHO. Good luck.

11. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Funny you should bring up fear. No fear of the bees I spend my free time in the evening watching them now that I have a hive at the house. Now the ladder on the other hand is a different story. About 8 years ago is was cleaning the gutters and on 1 of my trips up an extension ladder the part that holds the extension part in place broke. So I had 1 foot on the base ladder ( that was now trapped between the base and the extension) the other was on the extension. It was a short but painful fall to the concrete below. So at the end of the day ( it was only noon but I was done for the day ) I had broke the foot that was trapped between the ladders and had multiple bruises and road rash.
    I gave them a frame of honey when I put them in the ten frame and put the clump of bees that where in the grass into the 5 frame I guess we'll see what happens.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, I couldn't see any other reason for filming from 50 feet away. I couldn't tell anything from the video because it was so far away. I just figured you weren't suited up and didn't want to get any closer.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

One summer I learned how to build hand scribed log homes. I would walk along the top of the walls and even out onto the ridgepole with a running chainsaw.
    Age has changed all that. I really like standing on the ground now.

14. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Idee I was 6-8 feet of the hive and filming with my phone. So the rest of the story came out today.. I was loading up to go to the farm to check the hives there and the boss lady asked me not to wear my jacket but to use hers since she was staying home. After a little interrogation it came out that is was possible that a few Downy lavender drier sheets could have been in the mix the last time she washed my bee suit. Used her jacket today and inspected the 6 hives at the farm with no stings:grin:. So off to the washing machine with my bee clothes...