My first swarm is 10 days old now

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

My first swarm is 10 days old now (updated)

And I'm going to do my first inspection tomorrow (Tuesday) weather permitting. I placed them in a deep with almost 4 frames of fully drawn comb and 6 with new foundation. I have been feeding them to 1 to 1 sugar syrup. The other two established hives are working full speed so there is plenty in the area for this swarm to bring in also.

What should I find before adding another deep of completely new foundation?

Or since my other two hives each have two deeps full of brood and honey / pollen stores, should I borrow a couple of frames of honey / pollen / brood and place it in the yet to be added deep?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If there are enough bees in the swarm hive to cover a couple of extra frames of brood, I would swipe a frame (or 2) of capped brood from each boomer hive and drop in some foundation in those to give them a bit of room. Helps the swarm and alleviates congestion.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's awesome you have kept them that long...I am already preparing myself for seeing an empty box tomorrow..ha! I don't have the luxury of having old comb to put in with them. Hoping the best for ya tomorrow...I am interested to see what you find...

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

What Perry said ! It will really give them a kick start.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

actually you can do 'what Perry said' on about a two week cycle transferring one frame from the boomer hive and pretty quickly equalize the population of the two hives. on many occasion doing this in the prime swarm season also acts as good swarm control for a robust hive. the consequence is you can get benefit for both the giver and taker in this situation if done at a certain point in the season.

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok so I get it now... Swarm Catching is kinda like taming a Bull... :cool:

If ya catch um and keep um around you da KING!:thumbsup:

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

"Ok so I get it now... Swarm Catching is kinda like taming a Bull... :cool: " And at times its like riding the Bull, don't believe it-ask Bens-Bees! :razz:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Swarms are like Ferdinand the bull---they prefer smelling the flowers to fighting. :rolling:

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

:cool: Looks like fun though!

10. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I checked the swarm hive today and found that all 10 frames had drawn comb now. So in 10 to 11 days the bees had drawn comb, not an entire frame on all but more than half on all, on 6 new frames of foundation. With that much progress, I didn't add any brood frames to the new hive until I checked with you again.

I did find the queen but did not see any eggs on any frame. I'll admit that bothered me. All the old comb I had placed in the hive had been cleaned and there was pollen and honey / sugar syrup stored on each frame. Some of the comb had already been white capped.

So why do you think I found no eggs? Did I miss them? Of course that's possible but I don't think so. I turned the foundation where the sun shined in at an angle and still no eggs.

Is my queen still a virgin?

Is 10 days not long enough for the hive to settle down enough to "business as usual"?

I thought with 4 frames of drawn comb to start with, the queen would be laying by now.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

She should be laying, but I would give her a total of 20 days before giving up on her. For insurance, you could give them a frame of brood with eggs. Check in 3 to 8 days for queen cells. That would tell you for sure.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Bamabww says: ..in 10 to 11 days the bees had drawn comb, not an entire frame on all but more than half on all, on 6 new frames of foundation.

Efmesch suggests: If you want to encourage rapid completion of the frames not fully built, shift their position to the center of the hive, between finished combs. That usually gets things moving (unless the flow is over and the bees aren't building at all).

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    been white capped.

tecumseh:
    this suggest feeding can be somewhat curtailed... you don't want to starve a swarm but at the same time you do not want every cell plugged with syrup so there is no place for the queen to lay.

another snip..
    Is my queen still a virgin?

tecumseh:
    what did she look like? was she fully developed or still a bit small?

14. bamabww

bamabww New Member

She looked fully developed to me. I'm going back in this afternoon if the rain holds off and do as Iddee suggested.

15. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I added a frame of brood with eggs this afternoon and checked once again on the original frames and still found no eggs. So I'll see what turns out now. Thanks for the advice Iddee and everyone else also.
    View attachment 3470 View attachment 3471

Attached Files: