My First Swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Papakeith, May 18, 2013.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I got my first swarm on Wednesday, and it couldn't have been easier.
    Thankfully my wife had stayed home because we were having some concrete poured in the barn.
    I got a text around 11:00am "Is this bad?"
    first swarm.jpg

I think my boss likes the idea of me keeping bees as much as I enjoy keeping them so leaving for an early lunch wasn't an issue. I grabbed my keys and headed home.
    Once there I went straight to the bee yard. Paula met me out there to watch the process. As it turns out she caught the event on video.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200276206080470&set=vb.1012942081&type=2&theater

My wife called it Formal Beekeeping:lol:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good catch! Better feed them that is a small swarm, looks like an after swarm. Does the queen look like she is mated? Queen cells in the suspect hive?

Beekeeping with a tie on :lol::lol::thumbsup:

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You're going to like the way you look capturing a swarm, I guarantee it!

guarentee it.jpg

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I hope the swarm appreciated your welcoming them with a necktie. :lol:
    Like G3 says, it's a small swarm. It will probably require a lot of nursing along to build it up to full strength. I would seriously consider the possibility of merging it with a weaker hive that needs strengthering. It could make the difference between a small or a large honey crop. At the same time, you could use the queen (if she's young and mated) as a replacement for another one whose time has come. If she's not yet mated, you could keep her with the swarm till she starts laying and after she's "proved" herself, merge the swarm and use the queen as a replacement.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good one Keith! :thumbsup:
    I think maybe next time give the brush a pass, they only seem to get the bees riled up. Maybe try a stiff piece of cardboard or some thing and just scoop them down into the box.
    Without a doubt, the best dressed keep I ever saw! :lol:

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I vote for Papakeith as the best dressed beekeeper of the forum. (Iddee, take note-not only a shirt, but a tie as well.) :lol:

7. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Perry, I almost went and got a grain scoop (one of the squarish three quart jobs)

I was able to find the queen. How can you tell if she is mated or not?
    It was about a package worth of bees. I'm just glad to finally have one under my belt.

So far this year I've gone from 2 to 9 hives. I planned to have 6 if you remember, but I planned for 10. I'm glad I did. It looks like I'm going to need all of that if not more to get through the year .:thumbsup:

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

PapaKeith said: "It looks like I'm going to need all of that, if not more"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A mated queens abdoman will be swollen looking.

10. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

that's kinda what I figured but wasn't sure. Yes, she looked mated.

I went through my other hives yesterday. It definitely wasn't from one of mine.
    I've know of two other apiaries in close proximity to me. One got wiped out over the winter, so they probably didn't come from there. The other is the likely culprit.

11. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Good video. And ask all your facebook friends if they ever dress up to go meet someones new born:)

One of these days iw am goign to get a video camera. Yesterdays capture woudl have made a great one. I ended up with bees inside my jacket. I held the med box under the swarm as my son shook the branch. I ended up covered in bees form head to toe. In all it was a very easy capture. Had great comedy value for a couple of minutes though.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great video keith!
    and love your beekeeping attire!!!.....:grin: