My First Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zulu, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

So my neighbor's family own a school building, that his mom ran as a pvt school for 35 years, sadly she passed 2 years ago and the school was closed about 6 years ago when she could no longer cope. He mentioned during winter that he knew there was a beehive on the property,
    yep Honey bees no questions .... easy location ... not really .... 3rd floor window frame - upper rhs (pic taken at end)

IMG_9083.jpg

As the bees were entering in the corner of the window frame it required a special cone

IMG_9052.jpg IMG_9061.jpg IMG_9059.jpg IMG_9067.jpg

Now had to make a platform for the box, Iddee had suggested I make a top entrance, so modified my 7 frame swarm box

IMG_9066.jpg IMG_9068.jpg IMG_9070.jpg

As I had no idea how long it would take to get all this done I had not taken a frame of brood with me, so came back later and found I could not replace a frame with the box in place, so had to bring it inside...... that was fun, at least 4lbs of bees now in the box, balanced on top of a 6ft ladder leaning out a 3rd floor window. plus inside was dark so the bees headed to the windows

IMG-20120404-00139.jpg IMG_9080.jpg

Not a single tag, bees have been there at least 4 , maybe 5 years.......

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

IMG_9076.jpg IMG-20120404-00140.jpg IMG_9079.jpg

Oh yes after looking at it from below , I changed the 1x3 holding up the hive by some decking boards for better strength

IMG_9082.jpg

Bees were extremely calm, had smoke and jacket with me but used neither during the work..... right at the end to try and get them to go out the windows I lit the smoke and got the vast majority outside again.

A bonus for me, was pulling my frame of brood I found a capped queen cell, so it went into the capture box plus an additional brood frame
    Nice job, and a new hive in a few weeks

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Looks like you have done a great job.:thumbsup: Hope they turn out to be the best hive that you have.

James

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Already got a queen cell in there, you are way ahead of the schedule!!:thumbsup:

Filled an empty box in just a short time means they are a strong hive.

Good luck with it and don't fall out of that window!!:lol:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Better make that "a FEW new hives in a few weeks". That box will need to be changed out within 3 to 4 days.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Where there's a Zulu, there 's a way! :thumbsup:

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Beeter bee 5 days as I am at the beach..........

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Give them my number and tell them to watch for bearding on the hive. Bearding on the cone is normal, but on the hive and I will go change it out.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thanks, sent you a message....Jonathan will go and look in the morning... Will also call you in morning.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You've got it going on, dude! That is good work! :D

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like Several new hives!. Congratulations

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Heavy bearding tonight..... So changed the box

Carefully brought my capture box in the window, remember it is 3rd floor window, it is 7 frames, it weighed about 50-60 lbs, balancing out a 3rd floor window on a 6ft ladder......had to be pulled back first and then around the cone system because of the position of the cone in the top corner of the window frame... Too dark for pics sadly.

Big beard hanging from my top entrance board, scraped them off into a cardboard nuc, and as it was already dark they started to crawl...... Had to put a screen on top for transport. Had to resort to smoke after a few tags.
    Covered the capture box with an onion bag and taped for transport.

Got them down all the staircases , damn it was serious work, was a real workout. Got them home and the ones hitch hiking on the cardboard nuc had crawled onto the capture hive.
    i suited up this time and sure enough 3 found their way inside, two on the neck and one in the ear while carrying the 50 lb box down the yard in the dark.

Put on a hive stand and put the extra bees in cardboard nuc on the top on its side so they could walk out, will move them in the morning to a 10 frame hive.

Back tomorrow to re fill a few new holes and start filling the next box. We have bees exiting about 20 feet away from the cone and today I noticed a few a floor below. Not going to be an easy total trap out.

Bees have been there for years and the school is closed down so no kids and owner is ambivalent , just thought I might want them, which I do...he owes me a few favors, so he does the hard work...:lol: Except today - his back was sore....... And I need the exercise anyway.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As my Army drill instructor would say: "GOOD TRAINING". :lol:

You earned that box of bees, for sure.

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thanks Iddee,

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Definitely earned it! I guess if beekeeping was easy everyone would do it.

Gypsi

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have some sweat equity in those free bees :lol:

Glad to hear things are going your way!

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

Took the worst sting so far in two years while working these same ladies today.

Had to move them into a 10 frame , so the capture box could go back ( it had to be modified with a top entrance for this trap out).

Decided to use my suit, but one found her way in and got me on the throat.

Within an hour it was swollen and my neck was stiff. Not too bad tonight, but painful to swallow.
    benedryl taken twice now... And will help me sleep well.

18. jim314

jim314 New Member

Don't know how I missed seeing this until now, but great pictures and a good story Zulu:thumbsup:. Did you have your saws to fabricate your trap out on site, or make them at home and bring them to the site?

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

A bit of both, made the main part in my shop and then cut boards onsite to finally fit it. This was an awkward cone placement because of the corner of the window frame is the entrance point - actually the steel lintel above the window in the corner.
    Also lucky in that the site is only about 4 miles away.....

Trap box is back in place and I need to get back up the ladder as soon as the weather clears as I see two new holes the girls have found to escape. One is over 20 ft away from my cone.... this hive is huge inside obviously.