Beekeeping Forums banner

My first try at beekeeping & first cutout

3K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Iddee 
#1 ·
Monday I opened up the wall in my tree house and WOW. 16" by 6' of comb with solid bees from 2ft to 6ft. I was kind of WOW. The girls were calm at first but as time went along they became mad. It didn't help when some of the comb fell to the floor. after about 2-1/2 hrs I had them all in 2 deeps with some comb in buckets. Things look OK tonight. sure hope I got the queen. Did not see her, things were kind of wild. But WOW that was FUN. Hope someone has some ideas on how to tell if I got the queen with out opening up.

#7 ·
Iddee, I need some help. Got home about 3pm and took a look. Bees are still removing honey from comb I left near by and bees going in and out of new hive. Lokked inside of treehouse and had a small cluster of bees in one coner of wall, About a hand full. Should I brush into a box and dump into hive or just leave alone. I want to make sure I have the queen. Hate to go to all this work and loose her.

#8 ·
richhitch said:
The treehouse has an entrance at ground level, so it is easy to enter. and I am not young--middle aged hahahaha- over the hill.
A middle aged with a tree house. Hmmmm....possibilities. Big enough for poker table? A kegger, and a few girlfriends....sounds good. Now all I need is to find a tree my wife won't see... :lol:

#15 ·
Opened the hive Friday afternoon. Took out 7 frames of comb & honey and added 7 new frames of foundation. Didn't find very much brood maybe 2 frames had alittle and one frame had a bunch of bees on it with a lot of new comb. The new comb was making the overall thickness of that frame wider than the others. I think this is the frame with the queen or I hope, Lots of bees and new comb HOPE!!!!!!!! So now I wait and hope and pray. Wish me luck.

#19 ·
Ok, I checked Friday and had eggs-Larva & capped brood. Wow, I saw the queen and she is huge. Now I feel much better that I have seen the queen. It looks like I have lost some bees. There isn't as many as before but I have 3 frame about half full of comb and bees with some honey comb with bees on it. They are coming and going so things look OK. whew I feel better.

#20 ·
OK, so here is a update:
since my first cutout, I had another swarm come into the wall. I guess it is prime. I remove it and did a split. Then one of the splits swarmed into the wall again and I removed. So I then had 4 hives. OK so I built a NUC for swarm trap and low and behold I caught a swarm in my trap, so now I have 5 hives and looking good. All have queens....don't quite understand how but they do. I am having a ball with my bees. Now just hope they all build up for winter.

#21 ·
WOW. A fantastic story like that and you kept it from us? Shame on you. Now we have to know what happens from now until spring. :)

That's about as good a success story as I have heard. Now if you can get them all to fill two deeps before winter you should have it made. Congrats on a job well done.....PLUS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.