My first Varroa Mite

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Or at least the first one I've found or think I've found. I took advantage of the 70 degree temperatures to go through my 4 hives. When I pulled the top deep off, I broke open the drone brood the bees had started between the top deep and the bottom deep. Several of you last year advised me this was a good opportunity to look for Varroa Mites. I scraped off all the drone brood and took these photos:

P3152701.JPG P3152702.JPG P3152710.JPG P3152711.JPG

I think the mite is in the last two photos. Do you see a Varroa mite?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yup, it sure looks like one to me. Not bad considering how many pupae you've got pulled out there though.
    In photo 3 if you look just above the white pupae on the bottom left in the bottom of that cell you can see one as well I believe.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I think there is one right square on the pupae photo#4 in the center. It's hard to tell with photos sometimes though.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

yes, that's a mite. If you had a bad infestation, most drone larvae would have one or two. I use a sticky board under an enclosed Screened bottom board to keep track. At the start of my first year I had a natural drop of one to two mites/week. By the end of the year it was up to about 2 mites/day. I plan to treat this spring.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Looking very good! :)

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Looks like a varroa to me good pics thanks for sharing