My girls are looking better. Had my first "incident"

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ASTMedic, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Went into the hive the other day to check and see how their brood looks. From the outside they have been looking much better with a lot more foraging going on and just all around a lot more bees flying around.

Inside their numbers look good. I only wanted to check things out so I just smoked lightly and pulled 2 outside frames so I could slide the brood frames apart. Saw the queen roaming around at one point. She looks really good. They still haven't drawn the RiteCell out yet though. Not even a little. They're still working on just the 5 original frames from the Nuc. As before brood looks good but them not drawing frames is becoming frustrating, even though I'm feeding syrup.

I went and took an undrawn frame and dribbled some of the feed syrup from the jar on the foundation (no spray bottle mixed up) and stuck it smack dab in the middle of two brood frames this time. I couldn't remember if it was ok to split the brood like that but they seem to be doing well so I'll check in a week and see if they've touched it.

While sliding frames back together one girl head butted my hand (no gloves on, just veil and coat) and I made a rookie move and flinched and she was on me like a dog on a bone. I walked away to keep it just between the two of us and she got me right on the back of the hand. Pulled the stinger and smoked my hand/body again and ran more smoke over the frames and went back to work. So I've now had my first sting and my knuckles have disappeared into the swelling. It's going down a little but I'd like to itch it 24/7.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Oh, but for a camera and a posted pic! A slice of pie would have been in the offing but alas................

If the hives numbers are up and strong, I have dropped frames of foundation right smack dab in the middle and they have drawn it out quickly.

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Took a pic but its not letting me upload to Tapatalk.

Not a lot to see anymore. It happened Thursday so swelling is going down. Yesterday was rough. Lots of standing at a family party so with arms hanging it increased the edema. Felt like I had a boxing glove on. The itching is a bit annoying though.

4. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372020233.623894.jpg

There got it to work. Still more rounded than normal on the top and out towards the pinky.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

For a slice of Perry's pie it's worth making the effort to figure out the process of uploading. I confess, it ain't easy, but it's worth it for those delicious slices. :mrgreen:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You beat my post by four minutes---good for you! Now wait for Perry to deliver. If I were the one dishing it out. I'd say that picture is worth two slices, but Perry has his rules and makes the decisions. :lol:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Now that's what we 're lookin for here folks!
    For not being afraid to show it like it is (and being able to work the camera left handed) :thumbsup:
    ...............2 slices!

images.jpeg pie x.jpeg

8. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

ASTMedic, that first slice looks like lemon mirangue pie, my favorite! You hit the jackpot alll around. I wouldn't be surprised if you go around asking the girls to sting you again and again....and again.:rolling:

10. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Ya just what I need

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

WHAT IS THAT THING in post #4............:lol:

12. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

13. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Follow up: checked them this past week. The frame that I put between brood was partially drawn. So it was a good call Perry. I mixed up some essential oil syrup and sprayed the other undrawn frames that are to the outside of the box as a test to see if the essential oil mix is the cure all some claim it to be. I figured if after a month of good brood production and not drawing the frames it would be fairly evident if the oil syrup was the fire lit under them that got them drawing frames.

14. Crofter

Crofter New Member

It does look a bit like a mound of carrot bread dough raising! Ouch!

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Frank, sometimes you just kill me! :rolling::rolling::rolling: