My half caucasion queen

Discussion in 'Bees' started by jb63, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jb63

jb63 New Member

caucasion queen 003.jpg caucasion queen 004.jpg caucasion queen 005.jpg caucasion queen 006.jpg

I over wintered these in a seven frame trap and I wanted to move them into a ten frame with some dead out honey.It got up to 55* so I decided to make the swap quickly.As I moved them they had more honey left than I had imagined,what I didn't find was capped brood.I found a real nice hatched out queen cell so I belive she was replaced.I went back through to look for the Queen and I found her on the third frame back.I got a pen and marked her and held her in my hand.My plan was to open my hand and snap the pic.There was some opporator eror and I hit the on off button instead of the pic button.I did that twice then I decided to just let her run up my arm then I finally got two pics.Things took a turn after that because she ran under my arm pit and out of sight. I stayed leaning over the hive and felt for her.Lucky me she dropped back into the hive and I got a good look at her before I closed it up.:shock:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good looking queen and funny story, makes you panic a little :rolling:

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

You got that rite G3.The worse thing is I slowly walked over to my wife and asked her to look around my shoulder and neck.Later on after I showed her the pics she asked what I would have done if she had whacked it.She thought I had a hole in my veil and was prepared to do some killing.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Now *that* would've been a bummer...your wife defending you and
    wacking your queen!!!!

To be honest, when I read the title I thought you'd mashed your queen in half!!

Ed

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice catch. :thumbsup:
    Curious, so what you are saying is this is a newly emerged queen and as yet unmated?
    No "capped brood", was there any egss/larvae? She doesn't have that stretched out abdomen that mated queens typically display.
    You may have marked a virgin queen, although there is nothing wrong with doing that.

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

That's possible Perry, but I do have drones.On the other hand it hasn't been great flying weather.Mostly I was glad they wern't queenless.I'm not the best queen spotter so I wamted to mark her when I could.I'll check in a week and see if she's laying.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

jb, you're ahead of me in the queen marking department, I still can't bring myself to try it for fear of damaging them with my baseball mitt hands. I have a queen marking tube and all but can't figure out how to make 'em go in it so's I can mark 'em. :lol:

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

Practice on drones and field bees.I hear ya on the callous hands. My left hand is'nt too bad but the right has cement poising and is always dry and cracked.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

jb63, i had a bad case of cracked hands and the dermatologist said he couldn't do anything for them. Well i was working bees and it started to rain,of course my propolis covered gloves got wet and my hands got propolis all over them and down in the crackes of my hands ( you can't wash that stuff off).After about three days i noticed the crackes in my hands were healing up and didn't hurt. To make a long story short, i now carry a wad of propolis in my pocket (in a small ziplock bag) and when my hands start to crack i put a small piece of propolis in my mouth to soften it and spread it on the crack on my hand and it will heal up and not hurt.I know how painful it can be, and thought i'd pass it on, it might work for some of you with that problem? Jack

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

Thanks Jack,I'll give that a try.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

JB,
    That queen certainly looks like a virgin! Does anyone have experience with getting marked virgins to mate? I hope the drones follow their "noses" and not their eyes.

Jack,
    that propolis story is a winner. :thumbsup:

12. rast

rast New Member

JB, my wife loves it when I ask her if there's a bee on me, always seems to take 2 whacks for her to get it:???:.
    Jack, thanks a ton for that tip.

13. jb63

jb63 New Member

Ef, you may be right about her being un-bread, but I didn't think about it untill after the dot was dry.Hopefully they will work it out on their own.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I hope it works for all of you like it does for me. When i went for my six month check-up my Doctor as ask how my hands were (he always checked them for infection) when i showed him my hands (smooth and healed) he couldn't believe it, when i told him my story (he wasn't familiar with propolis) he said if i could find a way to market it, i would be a millionaire?? The one problem that i can think of is, what do bees make it out of ? and would propolis be the same from one part of the country to the other?? Due to different plants and flowers i'm thinking it wouldn't? Jack

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Propolis, like honey, is not totally plant material. The bees add stuff from their bodies to it.

Propolis from the same hive can differ, much less from different areas, but the healing properties should be the same.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

JB, to the best of my knowledge, propolis is collected by the bees from the sap of trees that "leaks" out where they suffer injuries the penetrate their bark. I'm sure that it varies from area to area and even in the same area from season to season. I can see the differences in my own hives. But like Iddee says, the medicinal properties of propolis should be pretty similar no matter where or when it comes in.
    I don't know of brands to tell you about, but I do know that there are many preparations (cosmetics, creams, sprays, etc) that are made with propolis. Of course, the big question is just how much of that special ingredient they put in them. Probably not enough to really help.