My high tech beehive a/c unit.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not to steal Tecumseh's thunder, but this one is safer as far as robbing, shb and wax moth. Takes a LOT longer to build. (an hour for 2)

North Texas bee a/c units. [​IMG][​IMG]

This will do 2 Lang hives tomorrow. And I pulled a medium full of frames in case one of them is bearding due to overcrowding. The glue is drying on the corners, I want to be sure they dry square. I USED to put screen on the top, but I don't anymore since I'm using hive top feeders and the dual screens make it tough for the bees to reach the feed. It was cool though, I could pull the lid and with the screened inner cover I could see all that was going on with no bees flying up in my face.

I build my own migratory covers, so I put all the screws and the 3/8 drilled openings on the side walls. That way a screw that doesn't sit perfectly doesn't interfere with getting the lid on or off, and the openings I used to put on front and back - well they are useless if the cover is overlapping them. (I used to use 1x4's with 3/4 inch holes.)

A little higher tech than the stick, but I hate shb, and the dual screening, inside and out, means I don't create a good wax moth hideout that the bees might miss. On EITHER side.

Gypsi
    (building a better mousetrap, but I'm still chasing the darned weasel - I did improve my chicken run, haven't lost a bird in a couple of weeks.)

2. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

3. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

That there's down right funny.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Yes it is LOL. Gypsi, I can't picture in my little mind what you are describing, can you post a picture of it?

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

:lol::rolling::lol::rolling:

6. Zeevah

Zeevah New Member

That pic is too funny!! :lol:

Gypsi, it sounds like you put alot of thought and work into your new design. Would love to see photos because I can't quite visualize it. :)

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I just want to know which one is TD100, I vote the skinny guy on the end! :lol::lol:

8. Gypsi

Well there were photos at the top, but during construction ones. So here are a couple of "installed" ones.
    Hive_virgils_july28_12.jpg The a/c unit on here is last year's model, 1x4, screen on inside of 3/4 inch drilled openings, screen on top (all window screen). Before the feeder jar on top, the screen was on the bottom of the unit, and I didn't have to put any screening in the openings. Drove the wax moths and stuff nuts.

9. Gypsi

new_nucJuly28_12.jpg This nuc doesn't have its screened vent top or 2nd deep yet, but you can see the bearding and crowding going on at 10 am or so, inside my homemade robber screen. It actually had a screen top under the telescoping cover, but 1x2 sides and 1x2 telescoping cover kind of locked together. Wasn't doing much.