My Hive Setup

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by tcchris, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tcchris

tcchris New Member

This is my setup for two hives , partially inspired by OJ Blount video .
    The bottom :
    Under each side of the hive I have a 2x4 . Window screen stapled across front and back (removeable) .
    All this is on top of a deck so the bottom is sealed .
    This gives me a 3.5 inch cavity under the hive which is sealed from SHB , but allows ventilation through the screened bottom board .
    In this cavity I keep an oil tray , or in winter I can use the cardboard insert with the SBB .

The top :
    I built a box with a solid bottom (quarter inch gap ).
    In the bottom of this box I cut three round holes for mason jar lids .
    This completely seals the top , no inner cover .
    These wholes can be sealed with lids , ventilation using mason rings with window screen in them , or quart jar feeders , or any combination .
    I have cut slots in the top of this box for ventilation , and a telescoping lid above it .

This setup , allows me ventilation and feeding , while completely sealing the hive from SHB , except the front entrance .
    I don't present this as the best answer , just to perhaps spark ideas and inventiveness .
    Members of this forum have been very helpful to me , and I wanted to give back a little .
    I am new to beekeeping , so if my ideas are flawed , please elaborate gently .

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If I am understanding this right you have an open oil tray inside of the hive with nothing between it and the bees?

If that is the case the bees will end up in the oil and drown. The oil pan needs to be under the screen and the screen needs to be #8 (window screen holes are too small) so that the mites and maybe some SHB will fall through it into the oil pan and drown.

I watched some of his videos and like the tops that he made.

3. tcchris

tcchris New Member

The 3 1/2 inch cavity is below the screened bottom board , the hive is just sitting on top of a couple 2x4's .
    The bees have no access to the cavity under the hive , just debris and critters fall through the screened bottom board

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member