My hive was sprayed with insecticide

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Deni Estrada, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Deni Estrada

Deni Estrada New Member

Had a contractor come to the house. Went into the back yard and found him spraying my hive. Got him to stop and turned a water hose on the hive to wash it off as quickly as possible. Is there anything else that I should/could do to help keep them alive?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

why would some random contractor spray your bee hive on your property? what kind of pesticide did he spray?..take a wash cloth with dawn dish soap and wipe down the outside of the hive very well many pesticides are oil based and wont wash away with water, and keep an eye on the bees to see if their is any die off...

3. Deni Estrada

Deni Estrada New Member

Thanks. I cleaned off the hive with dish soap. Especially the hive entrance. I don't know the name of what he used. He said he was allergic and saw a bee. At least I managed to get him to stop. Hopefully when I check the hive in the morning it won't be destroyed.

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

what is your location? so some stranger comes on your property without permission and tries to kill off your bees..um, I would be having that person locked up and help accountable for his actions and whatever costs you incur he will be paying..that or they would have found his lifeless body next to the hive dead from lead poisoning...its bad enough when the bees get into pesticide applied to flowers they land on and bring back to the hive, but this is inexcusable..

5. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

That guy is a fool!
    Why would anyone that's severely allergic to bee stings EVER mess with bees?

Sounds like a potential Darwin award winner!

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

How are your bees Deni?

7. Deni Estrada

Deni Estrada New Member

Amazingly they are doing great. We have had wonderful weather here with the flowering season being extended. That and feeding them helped them bounce back. I plan on opening the hive and checking on them today. I will see if I can work out how to post a picture.

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

thats good news...many times they are surprisingly resilient...

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I think this site is fairly easy to upload pictures to, but if you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask. Glad your bees are ok.