My hives in Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Slag, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Slag

Slag New Member

First hive.JPG

Hive front.JPG

This is the style of hive I am starting out with. As I've said before, I have just started out a couple of weeks ago and I have two active hives. I am open to suggestions.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Will the wires be able to hold the weight of a honey-filled hive without pulling out of the box?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good question Efmesch.
    Very interesting concept Slag, I've never seen a suspended hive before. Is there a special reason for doing so?

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks for sharing the photo slag, i always enjoy seeing where others keep bees and what hive configurations they are using. i have never seen a suspended hive as yours either, and as ef and perry have suggested, i would also be concerned about the weight, and would be curious as perry asked if there was a reason for doing so.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thanks for the pics

6. Slag

Slag New Member

I really don't know anything about beekeeping. I went with the suspended system because that is what the plans I was sent told me to do. We can get some really high winds here so I won't have to worry about it falling over. It keeps it up away from the termites. If I made a stand out of wood, I would have to replace it before long. The plans say to put grease on the wires to keep the ants out. As for Efmesch's question about the wires being able to hold the weight of a full hive, I never even considered it. How much can they weigh?

7. Slag

Slag New Member

I am only doing what the plans say to do. If there are suggestions for better ways to support the hives or improve hive construction, I am happy to learn.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

650 Sq. Centimeter of capped honey will weigh approx. 2.5 KG.
    Do the math for the size comb you will have X your number of top bars.

9. Slag

Slag New Member

That is a lot of weight. Thanks

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I am only doing what the plans say to do. If there are suggestions for better ways to support the hives or improve hive construction, I am happy to learn."

i must say slag, i am happy to learn as well, i did a little research this morning after your post to find that tbh's are traditionally hung in your country because of the termites and another pesky critter.i looked at various photos of how they are hung,so i think you may teach us about this rather than us teaching you! i did find a pdf listing wood species that detour termites, now i seemed to have lost it in cyber space. when i find it again, i will post for you. :grin:

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Elephants

For info.

It has been suggested that in some countries, suspended hives can deter elephants from raiding farmers fields.

Elephants don't like bees. They will avoid (and remember) a tree holding a suspended hive. They will also avoid an empty but pre-used hive. I have read of a suggested fence(?) made of strong poles with hives suspended between them.

Loss of a crop can be bad news to some farmers. It may reduce the risk of the elephants being killed.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I have nothing against the concept of suspending the hive by wires. On the contrary, it has, as you mentioned, assorted advantages. All I'm saying is (since I couldn't make it out from the picture) make sure that the method of connecting the hive to the wirres, and the strength of the wires themselves is adequate for the weight we hope you get. Maybe a set of wires running beneath the hive that go from support to support and are kept under the hive by screwed in eyelets would be best. The wires would support the hive and the eyes, through which the wires would be threaded, would assure that they stay under the hive and suppport it.

13. Slag

Slag New Member

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into what I can do to strengthen the wire supports. The bees in the one hive are kind of aggressive. I will need to be getting my smoker made. I started on it yesterday. There are some parts I still need to find.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef's post:
    "make sure that the method of connecting the hive to the wirres, and the strength of the wires themselves is adequate for the weight we hope you get. Maybe a set of wires running beneath the hive that go from support to support and are kept under the hive by screwed in eyelets would be best. The wires would support the hive and the eyes, through which the wires would be threaded, would assure that they stay under the hive and suppport it."

slag, as ef said i saw photographs of hives being hung like yours with very strong cable and supports, like 2 x material at the corners of the hives, not using eyelets but wrapping or connecting the cable in some sort of fashion to the 2 x material. i think if you were to google this yourself, in images or tbhives in africa, you might find something that might help you.

also, barbarian mentioned elephants, what i read was ants seem to be the biggest honey bee pest, and the ratel....honey bee badger, also lizards, snakes, toads and moths! slag, what pests are you aware of that you have, i would be curious about this? thanks!

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

16. Slag

Slag New Member

riverbee, I don't have enough experience with bees yet to not what creatures may give me problems. We do have lizards. I know ants can be a problem. I read that I can put grease on the support wires. Not right now, it is pouring outside. Rainy season has started. We have hyenas, mongooses, porcupines, civets, and other things. I don't know if any of them are a problem for bees.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

slag,
    thanks for your post, i wish you the best in your new adventure of beekeeping! so much to learn, just part of the beekeeping experience wherever it is we keep bees! i read earlier about your smoker building, how is that coming along? when you finish it, would you post a picture of it?

18. Slag

Slag New Member

I've been busy, but I finally found all the parts that I need to make the smoker. I am working on the bellows now. I'll post a picture when it's done. If it works.

19. Slag

Slag New Member

My smoker is ready for a trial run. I will give it a try if my guys remember to bring the dried ox manure tomorrow to fuel it.

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hack, hack, gag! :shock: Probably will smoke well but.................................!:lol: