My Kerkhoff" knock off"

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Ernie Beeboy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ernie Beeboy

Ernie Beeboy New Member

Even though I consider myself a "natural" keeper I just had to build this imitation Kerkhoff hive that is Langstroth compatible.
    It is also refered to as a "2 queen hive" where two seperate colonies share the same super area.
    http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii557/ErnieBeeboy/

Ernie

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those look really good.

What thickness plywood is that?

Hope things do not start to warp on you.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how things progress, I would really like to see how thing go!!

3. Ernie Beeboy

Ernie Beeboy New Member

I went with 1/4 inch on the inside walls and 1/2 inch on the outside walls. The 1/2 inch is thick enough not to warp and the 1/4 inch had a natural bow in it even as small as the pieces were. I assembled the inside walls with the bow arching out from the boxes. The clips on the ends of the pairs clamp that bows straight by pressing opposing bows against each other. I discovered after I was done with this prototype that I could have used 3/4 inch on the outside walls and still have enough room for the frames or I could have just used 1/2 inch on both walls.

Ernie

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice looking hive! :thumbsup:

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Thanks for posting that Ernie. I looked at the photos and didn't catch they there actually separate boxes side-by-side. I had to go google and find out what it was about...then went back and looked at your photos again....neat!!!!

I had (in my newbee reading) read about using two colonies to work the same supers but didn't really know what they were talking about. Your pictures really helped me understand the system (and put a name to it). Thanks!!!!

Ed

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks nice... for some reason I suspect not as simple as it may appear.

for most northern beekeeper the demaree system is a two queen system that has been used for a long period of time. two queen systems are generally though to require a concentrated nectar flow more applicable to northern locations than southern locations.

7. Ernie Beeboy

Ernie Beeboy New Member

Just a quick update on my "Kerkhoff Knock off" hive. Put two packages of Italians in on April 21st. As of today they have filled 3 medium boxes of 5 frames each on either side. They are still seperated as individual colonies, when they have filled 4 boxes both sides of brood, (20 medium frames each side), I will place a queen exculder on top and a super to begin the two colonies merge. I have been very lucky to have a keeper in my club that has Kerkhoff hive experience that I can ask questions and get help on my hive. This current hive is west/east oriented, (the entrances facing west and east) and clearly the colony on the sunny side facing south is slightly ahead. I am constructing two more double hives and plan starting splits this summer. I will place new hives on a north/south orientation thinking it will be better to balance the sun on both colonies.

Ernie