My Nose knows?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

There have been occasions such as today and earlier in mid-late March during an early flow that I swear I can smell nectar when passing close to my hives. We had a cool snap at the end of March/early April but these last 5 days have been in the 70's and 80's.

Can anyone else smell the happenings of the hive or is my wish for honey stronger playing tricks on my nose? :grin:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Goldenrod. I can smell that coming in yards away from my hives in the late summer/fall.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I remember the goldenrod from last summer. It was brief though. Once we had back to back to back 4+ inch rain events including a hurricane it seemed like the fall nectar flow never recovered.
    This smell is much better than the goldenrod.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes I can smell them also.

In the later part of summer I have found a couple of bee trees just by the smell while walking in the woods.

I smelled a swarm just the other day as I walked past it.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

actually what I suspect you might be smelling is the smell of a heavily brooding up hive. not that unusual in the early spring. it is one of he most delightful smells as the bees mix honey and pollen to create the stuff they feed to the brood. about a year a ago one of my very close but non beekeeping friends got a whiff of one of my hives and told me if he could bottle that smell we would both be rich.