My other hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Today really was not my day.

After cleaning up my dead hive, I thought I'd take a look at the4 other one, that was buzzing with bees. Right now it is one deep with 3 shallows on top. Most of the bees were in the 2nd shallow. I looked through every frame and... no brood. I don't know if there were eggs, since I can't see them anyway and I did not have my glasses.

Shouldn't there be brood by now, even in this latitude? Am I doomed?

I feel like my mismanagement killed them all. :cry:

2. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I once talked to a woman who has kept bees for over 20 years and she lost 60% of her hives.

We lost two of our hives this year too. Even with all our good intentions and what we learned from a master beekeeper, there are too many variables to manage. I felt bad too, I must say, when I saw the hive was dead.

So Hobie, I don't think your "mismanagement" killed them all. It's been a tough year for the bees.

Best wishes,

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would think there should be brood in your area by now but then you have been getting some wicked weather. Up here in Nova Scotia all my survivors have started brooding and we're further north. Try waiting a few days and look again, those eggs you have a hard time seeing will be larvae that are easier to see (if you have eggs now that is).
    Don't be so hard on yourself (mismanagement), sometimes you can do everything right (within your power) and they still don't make it.
    I joined two small colonies a few days ago, one with queen and a frame of bees and the other queenless with 3 frames of bees. Checked today and no queen :cry: . I will wait a few more days and check again just in case she was hiding but there were not many bees so I find it hard to think I missed her.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hobie, it may not be as bad as you suspect.
    We too have had a very long cold Spring. First daffodils just opened today!

Only saw bees start bringing in pollen about 4 days ago.
    Today I did a full inspection and only saw small patches of capped brood. Not as much as i thought ther'd be. But I did see areas of fresh laid eggs, so it looks like queen is just getting busy now.

Give it a week and look again- I'm betting you will see brood.

Meanwhile, do you or a friend have another hive with a frame with some eggs on it to donate it to the struggling hive? At least then they will make a new queen if they need to, instead of making a lying worker.
    maybe you should just order a fast queen from someone?

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, all. maybe there is some hope... most Daffodils here don't even have buds yet! I forget how much this big lake keeps things chilled down, and even longer this year than usual.

Will check again in a week (and remember to wear my glasses!)

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Hobie... if the weather has been cold and there is little to nothing coming in then any egg patch may be very small (the smaller the winter cluster the smaller the initial patch of eggs). quite often it will be located not centered in the hive body towards the sunny side of the box. a trickle of feed applied some days ahead of looking yield more evidence if the hive is still viable and more confidence in the information if the hive is not viable.

if you got'em you will loose 'em from time to time. some pretty good beekeepers have certainly lost their share (tecumseh thinks as he stares into the mirrow). one dead hive does not mean they are poor beekeepers or bad managers... really the simple message here is that anything that lives also dies. there is really nothing gained by beating up on yourself in this regards. the only thing there is to be gained from a dead out is to look into the box, figure out the cause(s) and then try to limit that problem in the future. my two cents....

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"If you got'em you will lose'em from time to time"
    Truer words never spoken.

If it was a simple matter of doing "all the right things" (whatever they may be) none of us would ever lose a hive. I actually think it would become boring at some point as there would be no challenge.
    Beekeeping is a constant learning experience and that is about the only constant in beekeeping!

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Ha! Looked in yesterday, and found brood! Yay! :Dancing:

Took off the topmost super. They had started putting pollen and nectar in 2 frames, so I moved those down and removed other empty frames.

Not much blooming here, but they are busy cleaning out what's left of my other hive.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations Hobie! :yahoo:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good going. Hope your future winters are one or less loss years.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sure is good news!!