Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, cleaning up my own mess is always fun. I just loved the look of the bee tree I took down, found it a great spot in my garden, put a tabletop on it and said yes, that needs a piece of sculpture. There was only a little comb left in it, a couple of pieces, one viewable from the front, and I sprayed them down with BT. This is what it looked like when I set it out in the garden.

I brought home a cutout in mid-March and I think the swarm in the tree came from them. They tolerated me in the garden, but I wasn't home much either.
I took their picture on March 26th.

When I got chased out of the garden the weekend of April 1st, and stung on the cheek, that was not so much fun. So this past Saturday night I added a medium Hogan Swarm trap, full of brood comb that I sprayed with BT, mounted on top of the tree to invite the ladies to move. They are resistant to change. I plugged the main entrance with heavy underlayment all wadded up. So they dug a lower exit/entrance.

I covered the lower exit/entrance with dirt in the dark Monday night, but guess I missed part of it.

I've had a pitiful little nuc that swarmed off that cutout into my nuc trap, even with a robber guard, constantly being robbed out. Monday night I moved it to my front porch, sure enough some bees found it.

So yesterday, I decided the bees were wasting far too much energy robbing my little nuc. I put on a suit and in daylight covered the lower entrance/exit. Opened the entrance reducer on the hive a bit more, (it was at the 4 bee width spot, I slanted it.) Took an empty deep out there, put a queen excluder on top of the medium, moved the ziploc feed bag to the top of the excluder, put the deep box on top of that with 7 frames of plastic wax coated foundation and 3 frames from the nuc. Nurse bees, probably a queen, a few wax moth larva on the frame with fresh open eggs. Put the lid on, wished them luck and took off.

Since the tree bees haven't been going in the top box, that little tiny hive may manage to co-exist. If the tree bees move up I don't have to plant my garden wearing a bee suit. Either way I think it is a win-win situation. Any comments? suggestions? Ideas?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Comments? Great pictures, and please continue to update on how this is going! :thumbsup:

Suggestions or ideas? Not from me, I'm "stumped"! :lol:
I hope to be able to give something like this a try someday (bee tree).

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Suggestion..... Flip the stump over, then set up the boxes. The stump comb will be upside down and the bees will abandon it and move up.

·
Super Moderator
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the stump is pretty heavy, and full of bees. I will have to think about it. I rolled it into position by myself but I do not know if I can flip it, and I don't have a suit for my helpers. I will think on this while I'm working Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm off Sunday, I can see if they have made any upward move then, and if they haven't, and I can work out the logistics, I can flip the stump then. The bottom is not as flat as the top, but maybe I could shim it out with wood, etc... Thank you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've taken quite a few hives from stumps just like yours. After chain sawing down to the top of the hive I put a a piece of plywood on top with a hole in it. I then put a box with frames and a lid. Get a hammer and start drumming the stunp and smoking. The bees will move up into the box. I then slide a queen extractor between the plywood and the box. Wait a few hours[most bees move back down] and take a look and see if the queen is there. If she is I drum the bees back up. Slide something in th block the hole and remove the box. Wait a few months and do it all again. The bees remaining in the stump will make a new queen. YOU HAVE A BEE FACTORY NOW . Make the entrance hole smaller as you'll have a weak hive for awhile. I must have taken 4 different hives over a 2 year period from the same stump.
Aloha Dakine

·
Super Moderator
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. What is a queen extractor?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oops. Excluder? Thanks for the correction. Actually hopefully it does end up extracting the queen.

·
Super Moderator
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, for today I think I'll just see where the bees are living. I am sooo tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts