My part-time job

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Aug 29, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is my second year at Blueberry Acres. I am only able to put in a few hours a couple days a week as I am busier and cannot commit to more. The season lasts about 6 to 7 weeks.
    I drive folks to and from the fields in an air-conditioned bus (1 of 2) and have an absolute blast doing it. In fact, one would really not do this job for the money, I earn double doing bee inspections. But I have always liked being around happy people, and most that are getting on my bus are (if they're not, they are after they have to deal with me) :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

They have almost 200 acres, over 30 different varieties, and I believe they are the biggest producer of highbush blueberries in the Maritimes. (Over a million pounds if memory serves me).
    Every bush is hand pruned in the spring (takes a crew 8 to 10 weeks), use between 10 to 15 million gallons of water a year in irrigation, and while blueberries are technically self pollinating, they bring in over 250 colonies to ensure maximum fruit set.

Blueberry Acres 001.jpg Blueberry Acres 003.jpg Blueberry Acres 004.jpg Blueberry Acres 002.jpg Blueberry Acres 005.jpg
    Blueberry Acres 006.jpg Blueberry Acres 007.jpg Blueberry Acres 008.jpg Blueberry Acres 009.jpg Blueberry Acres 010.jpg

2. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Wish we lived closer, Perry. :cry: That looks like fun. :smile: My wife, 12 year old daughter and I usually pick between 45 and 60 pounds of organic blueberries each year.

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

Hmmmm, picking without bending......An old man's paradise. :)

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hang in there for another couple of years till your colony numbers are up and take over the pollination.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm sure that's why you come here. And your happiness is contagious, too. I'm sure you brighten up the world wherever you are. :clapping:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I love blueberries!

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Perry, I'll bet all your passengers are happy after being shuttle about. As I recall ( and my brain isn't all that reliable), in a post long ago, you mentioned you thought you were selected over others for a municipal bus driver position because of your pleasant attitude or something similar? Or maybe I just imagined it?

Walt

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

...Or perhaps Perry makes them an offer they can't refuse! :lol:

​...JP

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: My boss has heard too many comments about me from customers :lol:
    They hired 2 new drivers this season to replace one fellow and to make up the shortfall of my reduced availability. After a week they called me in and had them ride with me for a few hours each "to see how it's done"!
    I do all sorts of off the wall stuff. Sometimes after I pick up passengers in the field and just before I stop the bus to let them off (where the berries get weighed and they pay for what they picked), I drive over a cement pad (loading ramp) and I'll stop the bus and say that there is a problem, the passenger load plus the flats of berries on the bus don't cover the weight that the "scales" show, were any of you eating berries out there? Usually gets a round of laughter. I tell kids getting off my bus in the fields that they won't be allowed back on unless they have blue tongues, stuff like that.
    When I do "my" speech, I always trot out blueberry facts and tell folks they need to be able to answer one before I let them back on. I also tell them if they picked more berries than they wanted, I would take them off their hands, but only on the other side of the register.

Life's too short folks, to not have fun when you do things. It can be pretty simple if you boil it down to some basic principals.
    If something makes you unhappy...........don't do it! I realize that is a simplification and some things are difficult to change (work, etc.), but at least try. The status quo is not a healthy option.
    If something makes you happy, find a way to incorporate it into your life, grab it with both hands and refuse to let go.
    I see way too many people out there that are not happy and that is sad.
    Be thankful for the things you have, not unhappy because of not having the things you want.
    If you are reading this, be happy. :mrgreen: You obviously have a computer, can afford the internet, and found the best forum online!

There, I went waaaay off track, but there it is! :wink:

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well said, Sir! :thumbsup:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

even off the tracks Perry is a pretty good read.

or as the old saying goes.... it ain't altitude that matter it is attitude that will get you to where you want to go.

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    What tec said. I consider myself fortunate to call Perrybee a friend, even though I've never met him. Maybe that can be remedied in the future.

13. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

“Life's too short folks, to not have fun when you do things. It can be pretty simple if you boil it down to some basic principals.
    If something makes you unhappy...........don't do it! I realize that is a simplification and some things are difficult to change (work, etc.), but at least try. The status quo is not a healthy option.
    If something makes you happy, find a way to incorporate it into your life, grab it with both hands and refuse to let go.
    I see way too many people out there that are not happy and that is sad. Be thankful for the things you have, not unhappy because of not having the things you want.”

I love what you have said, Perry. I have copied your words and will use them myself when the opportunity opens up when dealing with one of my "glass half empty" friends.