My queenlees hive (NOT)

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Our hive that we thought was queenless and that we were making plans to combine. We found a young queen Thursday night. She is 2 weeks old this weekend. We have had great weather the last 2 weeks except for a couple days of rain. Highs in the upper 80's. So hopefully she is mated by now and back inside safe.

I spent some time in the bee yard this morning just watching. This hive (which hasn't had hardly any activity) was going gang busters this morning. They were bringing in the pollen - legs loaded. I hope thats a sign that the queen is starting to lay.

I guess I'll wait 2 weeks and check for eggs and larva. She will be a month old by then.

Man was that a busy hive today. What a thrill to see.

They drew this queen from a frame of eggs from another hive I put in over a month ago. After missing the queen after an inspection.

Thanks for guiding me on this one.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

IT is so satisfying to find that young queen laying and tending her hive. Just nothing like it!
    (looking forward to 2 more...)

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

from what I have seen in my hives with new queens the moment there is brood field hands get back to work so sounds to me like your queen is already laying, gratz:thumbsup:

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's so nice to get feedback that tells "us" that information you got here was beneficial. { I can allow myself to say this on behalf of so many others, since it wasn't me who gave you the advice.}