My rant.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alleyyooper, Apr 30, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

The gulf oil spill mess. You would think that a if one company alone is losing 6 million dollars alone per day they would have came up with a way to remove the oil from the water or some thing long ago. I realize that most all companies are ran by people who don’t know horse manure from grass clippings. You would think that some one down the line would step forward with a plan to save the spilled oil and help keep the pockets of those head nit wits lined.
    Why must every thing be regulated today by governments to get the companies to do the right thing?
    Which brings to mind the mine messes. If they have been served with volition notices when does the government agencies send it the proper officials to shut them down till things are fixed? How many people, how many animals must suffer death to keep the pockets lined before things are did correctly?
    Just hat is going on in the gulf is why so many of us here in Michigan are fighting tooth and nail to keep the oil rigs out of the waters of the great lakes. Find a fix for the spills and maybe we will think about it. NAW that was just a tease stay out of the lakes.

:mrgreen: Al

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When man quits making mistakes and does all things right, I don't think we will be on earth. It will have to be in the here after.

Saying that, when a fault is found, a choice is given. Fix it or pay a fine. If there is a great difference in the price of each, which do you think will be chosen?

So there will be a few lives lost. So what? There are people dieing every day anyway. What's a few more, if we can make a few million bucks from it.
    Yours Truly,
    Big Business

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

seems to me the most logical thing to do is install a valve on the well head when drilling begins, something happens just cut the drill rod and shut the valve.

Maybe that would be too simple, anyway what do I know about oil wells.

G3

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

alleyyooper, I couldn't agree with you more... and this little bit of news will really get you mad... the coast guard just confirmed yesterday that a second oil rig in the gulf has overturned... no word yet on if or how big that second oil spill will be.

G3 - sounds to me like you know more about oil wells than they did.

I really feel bad for all the fishermen and families of fishermen and those relying on the tourism industry of the gulf for a living... none of them are going to have a livlihood now... this affects the livlihoods of so many people in so many states that it could have a total economic impact that is greater than all of these bank bail-outs put together... and it could totally decimate those eco-systems for many many decades, if they can ever fully recover at all that is.

Come monday the crap is going to hit the fan though... that's when they are projecting that this spill will reach those thousands of multi-million dollar beach homes in Florida and I have a feeling that all those powerful wealthy people down there are going to have something to say about this when it affects them personally and is in their backyard. I could be wrong, but I just have a sneaky suspicion that BP will be put to the flame in a way that Exxon was not simply due to the volume and average socio-economic status of many of those affected by this... but we'll see.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

...............and you forgot to add that gas prices will now shoot through the roof because of this.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it does kind of show you that 'business' will not cure all problems.

matter of fact when the two business (which are quite large corporate structures) got themselves into a mess who is the first folks they called to lend a hand? you got it.... the government.

my impression Al is one disaster was created via a very unusual set of events including a number of safety devices not working. the other disaster was more about corporate greed heads who figured out how to game the system... and had basically operated for a number of years when they knew that the people enforcing the rules were more concerned with corporate profits than the safety of their workers. not that the coal mining operation in question is really that unique in that regards. coal companies do have a long held reputation for having hearts of coal.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>the coast guard just confirmed yesterday that a second oil rig in the gulf has overturned..<<<<

And that is BS media hype to sell news. That rig was inactive, being transported on a barge, when it turned over. Just goes to show how little we can believe when the media explosion is even bigger then the oil rig explosion.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Gas prices going through the roof? Just in time for summer in the US? Well, what a darn coincidence. Anyone else wonder why "something" always happens in spring? Makes me wonder. If that's the plan, I just wish they wouldn't sacrifice innocent plant and animal life to do it. I'd rather they just announced "The Annual Summer Gas-Price Screwing" and be done with it. The honesty would be a breath of fresh air.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

So what were the violations at the coal mine? Having been a safety officer in the military, and having a wife who is management in Manorcare (Country's largest nursing home), violations are sometimes minor things, justifying a program or an inspectors position, and many times political on top of it.

I was told time and time again, "don't come back here with a 'clean' report. Every unit has something to write up." So sometimes you found a paint can not in use and not placed in the proper locker. Sometimes it was clerical in nature. My wife see's the same in the nursing home environment. Inspectors come in and write up many times things that have no real impact on safety or care being provided to the patients.

So we have an accident, and the first thing you hear is "This mine had 'prior' violations." So tell me, how many mines have clean records with NO violations? So that this same repeated media hype crap could not be said about every and each mine anytime something goes wrong?

Mining is dangerous. So is crab fishing in Alaska. One is used as media hype with political overtones, while the other is made into a primetime television series. Want to guess which has a higher mortality rate per worker?

So one oil rig blows up. Out of what....several thousand. And just as our one incident at three mile island has paralyzed this nation by not building another reactor in 30 years, the world will keep chugging along, while other countries keep building them. The same will happen with oil drilling. We will shoot ourselves in the foot and cut off our own leg, while a few miles away, other countries keep drilling.

Don't buy the media hype political crap. And don't expect Utopia anytime soon. Mining is dangerous and drilling oil isn't always perfect. We need both, and both will continue to be imperfect.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks, BJ... Well said. :goodpost:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that is exactly right about justifing a position. most things that are written up as a violation could be reviewed as code interpretation, more to the point just somebodies opinion on the gray areas.

Diesel here is already at $2.93 yesterday. Just in time for baling hay too, put up some high dollar hay just because of fuel and twine cost.

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Fuel cost went thru the roof the day after the rig exploded. Gasoline was 2.43 went to 2.93 diesel was 2.58 is now hanging around 3.05 as and adverage. Gas went down to 2.89 yesterday for some odd reason. They were still perdicting on the news last night 3.50 a gallon gas soon. They reported spending is again dropping off due to people saving for that day.

We all know the prices of fuel will rise in the summer. There is an answer to that if you live in the right area and have the money. On the farm we bought diesel at 1500 gallon rate in the waneing days of the winter. You got the winter rate and a discount for buying bulk. We did the same for gasoline only we bought more of it about 2500 gallons. We never took the car or truck to a gas station.

13. rast

rast New Member

Fuel was already going up here, gas was 2.85-2.95 depending on taxes on it yesterday. Diesel has been over 3 for a while. Speaking of taxes (yeah I did), did you ever pay attention to how much you pay on fuel.
    BJ. I agree with all you said. But, I am like most, not in my backyard preferably. What has me really ticked off is no workable containment and shut off plan of some sort thought out in advance. It is left to the government, therefore your and my money to solve and cleanup. The lack of forethought bothers me more than the money.

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Or the lack of action for anyone who happened to have forethought, and had their idea shot down. I second you, here.

15. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

"What has me really ticked off is no workable containment and shut off plan of some sort thought out in advance. It is left to the government, therefore your and my money to solve and cleanup. The lack of forethought bothers me more than the money."

"Or the lack of action for anyone who happened to have forethought, and had their idea shot down."

The whole idea behind my post.

16. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well good to know it's at least not going to cause another spill, but still I'm sure that's a multi-billion dollar piece of equipment that's been royally screwed up, not that the oil company doesn't make billions every day, but I'm sure they'll use that loss to justify further price-hikes.

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

We've been drilling for oil since about 1859. I just gotta think that, with all the advances in technology in the past 150 years, somebody could have spent a little money on either a) an automatic shut-off valve, or b) an emergency plan to handle things like this. This country spends billions studying other worthless crap. Heck, at least a means to dump a pile of hydraulic cement on the thing and plug it up.

That, and I wish someone would develop grass that stopped growing at 4" tall.

18. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

How about a giant shop vac to suck up the oil off the surface of the water.

Grass doesn't grow in the winter much.

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Al, they have similar. Large barges designed to let the oil/water in, then pump the water out the bottom and pump the oil off the top. I don't know why they aren't using them.

20. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Friend that lives down there told me this morning the seas have been to ruff to collect the oil that way. Said that is also part of the reason burning didn't work. She said it smells so bad she has left home to visit friends farther north to get out of the smell zone.she also said it was really hot and humid there now too.