My Retirement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Updated my profile occupation today from "engineer" to "retired engineer".

I'm a little surprised...I had expected to be almost giddy, but find myself apprehensive and a little melancholy. Then I remembered a saying, "Live in the present. In the past lives regret and in the future lives apprehension".

I suspect in a few days I'll be giddy and working feverishly around the girls and gardens. :thumbsup:

Walt

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations Walt. :thumbsup: :yahoo: :mrgreen:

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

One thing I found out about retirement is now I never have time to get everything done. When I was working I looked forward to retirement so that I could have more time to do thing, but it just dosen't work that way for some reason, maybe I am not as fast as I once was. Oh and congratlations on your retirement Walt.

kebee

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Congratulations Walt! I'm sure you will never find a shortage of things to do. I'm sure that it is a big adjustment though.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Good for you! I'll be glad when I can retire. I wish you heath, happiness and honey! :)

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Congratulations! Don't work too hard :wink:

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Walt,Congratulations but believe me, retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be.:roll: I use to go fishing twice a week, now i'm lucky to go 4 times a year and for some reason i don't care??:???:. The honey do's seem to double and the outside work never ends then when you go to bed you can't sleep for thinking about all the things you have to do tomorrow.:eek: Hummmm, does this mean your older than tec? he's still working.:lol:Jack

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

Congratulations Walt, I'm sure its well earned. Now all you need is a continental convertable to check your livestock the way LBJ did..... ;)

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Congratulations on having all the free time you've dreamed of to do your own thing. Happy retirement. Did they give you a retirement party and all?

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Walt, wish you a happy, lengthy and healthy retirement:thumbsup:

11. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Jack, I was trying to keep it a secret. Yes, I do think I'm older than Tec. Think of me as Tec's older, dumber "neighbor".

Apis, Oh no. No party from this company. Good-bye to a couple of friends and that was about it. There was a request to do some "consulting", but I declined.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Walt

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well done Walt! Enjoy!

13. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Congrats Walt! I found there's a period of adjustment that may be difficult at first when you retire but then you get over it.

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Congrats to you Walt and good luck. I'm looking forward to retirement and will admit with some apprehension myself. I could leave without a package June 28th or stick around to September to see if there's a "package" deal for those who are 60. I'll probably stick around for the package, just in case it happens. So for me, best case: June 28th, worst case November 30th.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

At least you're talking this year Wayne! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

16. Minz

Minz Member

That’s funny, since my favourite saying is that I get more done after a day at work than I do on all day Saturday. Start stringing all them Saturdays together and pretty soon nothing gets done.
    By your avatar I figured you were a cowboy, I had to go look at your homepage. I seen enough hobbies on there to keep you busy (I just ordered my verggy seeds in the mail, going yuppy).
    I do have to admit I was hoping to see a working cattle ranch with mule deer a guy could come down and hunt!.
    What type of Engineer? EE here.

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I thought about this thread this morning at 3:30 am when I was getting up to go to work. :dash1:

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My rich neighbor (dead now) use to say when he ask me if i could help him the next day and i told him i had to work. Poor People Have Poor Ways.:lol: Jack
    PS. But he would help you anyway he could (day or night) if it didn't cost anything.

19. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Minz, an ME.

Greg, Cat gets me up 2-3 times a night to either feed her or watch her eat. Started when she was an indoor-outdoor cat. She would get me up to let her out. She would eat a little and I'd open the door. If it was too cold she would shoot back to bed. Now she's an indoor cat, but we never got over it! :grin: No chance I'm going to "sleep in".

Jack, I've started modifying my "daily goals"...used to be the goals would be "don't get angry", help someone", etc. Now they're "Remove the hot water tank", "Cut up the mesquite"...it's kept me bust for 3 days anyway. :lol:

Walt

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  20. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Walt,

I've only heard from one retired guy who regretted retiring. When he told me he regretted his retirement I asked why? He replied," there's no such thing as weekends anymore, no holidays to look forward to, and you never have a vacation."
    I felt sorry for him because he was sincere in what he told me.