My State of the Addiction Address

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Intheswamp, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Ok, a little catching up to do here...

Some of you have alluded to the fact that I might not be becoming addicted to bees....that I *am* addicted to bees. Not so, I have only a minimal interest in them...if I was truly addicted I would not have temporarily stopped feeding them downtown beside the sidewalk at the store when I thought I was going to incite a robbing frenzy. I can't help it that the top of the big green garbage can was a nice feeding platform...those "sanitation engineers" sure can be kind of cranky at times!!!!! I also don't watch *many* of bee videos at work...that's what jump drives are for so I can be comfortable at home watching them. ;) Anyhow, I'm no addict!!!........am I?

As for the wife...yelp, she's coming around. She already has a honey addiction and she's getting more interested in the bees, too. I think we'll be a good team down the road.

As for now, here is where I'm kinda at....

Currently I have an 8-frame super setup with a small colony of bees in it. A friend of my mentor sold me the 8 frames for a dollar a piece. He said he didn't want to have to feed them over the winter (I kinda think it also really wanted me to have bees to work with). Earlier I purchased two semi-established colonies from my mentor who is over-wintering them for me....he's guarantying me two live colonies in the spring regardless if one of the chosen colonies dies out. Anyhow, both of these gentlemen thought regardless of whether the nuc survives the winter that it would be good education for me to prepare for the spring. I've been putting the syrup to them and they're looking pretty dog-gone good (in my newbee eyes). They've put up a lot of the syrup, lots of it capped, and have been bringing in a good bit of pollen....bright yellow until this recent freeze that came by, now they're bringing in a pollen that is light-gray with a hit of yellow. I had a white camellia blooming but that's over with now and a big red one has started....but, I think the bulk of the pollen is coming from elsewhere. They've got some nice patches of brood, too.

I've seen a few hive beetles...probably 5-6, a couple got away from me but those that didn't were faulty and failed the pressure test. I've got a white plastic clip-on (AJ?) oil traps hanging between a couple of frames but haven't caught anything as of now.

I am going with all 8-frame medium supers. I have 18 built as of now, which I feel is sufficient for 3 colonies (figuring 6 supers per colony). Currently I have enough SBB and telescoping tops to handle up to 4 colonies. I would like to increase my capabilities to handle 6 colonies being as I hope to catch a couple of swarms this spring/summer. I'm thinking that I need a minimum of 6 more supers to cover my current top/bottom inventory and up to 12 more (along with 2 more tops and bottoms) if I want the 6 colony capability.

So far most all of my woodenware has come from Rossman. I've been impressed with their quality so far along with there customer service. I dodged the shipping by picking the woodenware up at state beekeeper's meeting (enjoyed it *immensely*!!!). There's another meeting in Auburn coming up in February in which I could order the balance of my equipment. The outlay of $$$ has not been cheap (really, huh? :roll: ) but this is my grubstake that's getting me started. My plans after getting my bee yard established is to start making my own equipment...at least the tops and bottoms, I've recently found a local source of cypress where I might be able to snag cut-offs. My goal is to build my bee yard up large enough so that the bees will earn their keep. :) I can only imagine how much that first pint of honey is going to cost me!!!! :-o

Bee library...I'm amassing a sizable bee library. No...I'm *not* addicted!!!

I'm finding that most beekeepers are some very good folks and that they *love* to talk and share things!!! My mentor(s) are 78 and 80 and I feel mighty blessed to have them...good folks....now there's two dudes that have an addiction problem!!!! Me...nah. :D

Anyhow, I've got great plans...just hope this newbie can handle them! :beg:

I'm sure there's more I can say, but I'll stop for now. Thanks again for the welcome!!!
    Ed

One of the frames from my small colony...
    [​IMG]

One of the innocent little downtown ladies...
    [​IMG]

Family picnic...
    [​IMG]

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Very nice

Yes you are addicted !!!!

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

Do you tell your-self you can quit any time ,you just choose not too?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Repeat after me:

"My name is Intheswamp, and I am a beekeeper"!

At this point the rest of us will say:

"Hi, Intheswamp" :mrgreen:

Nice pics, thanks for the post! :thumbsup:

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome IntheSwamp, funnny that is where I spend alot of my time!

This is about as close as you'll come to a 12 step program, I have been telling myself the same thing going on 3 years now....Good Luck!

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Welcome! The first step is admitting you have a problem..;)

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

and the 2nd step is "buying more equipment"

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

:bow: Rubs his next box bought from mannlakes (my precioussss!!!!!) hides over in the corner putting together frames and boxes (mumbling to self Just 1 more, no1 will know just 1 more) hides bee catalogs from mannlakes and miller bee supply at home,work and in the truck so at any time I can look at them like they were centerfolds.

Nope no problem here (that another delivery from UPS cant cure) :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

What an enabling group of folks! :mrgreen: I don't have a problem. It didn't take 10 minutes for the bees to find the coke I accidentally spilled on top of the green garbage can today...I had to move it a little bit so the lid was sloping a tad so the soda wouldn't run off the lid. Thankfully the city boys had a holiday today so they didn't bother the girls. NO, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.<sigh> (Psss, I think the girls like Sprite better than coke...I don't think they like the caffeine in the coke.)

I can stop anytime I get ready to...Hi! I'm Intheswamp...why are all of you in a circle looking at me? Oh, you just reminded me that I've gotta finish up that order for Rossman...Auburn meeting's just around the corner. Really, I'm ok....really. I'm in complete control...COMPLETE CONTROL!!!!!! Yeah, that's right....

I *am* getting a little nervous about something, though, seriously...I haven't been stung lately.....and, and,....uh, I'm beginning to feel like I'm kinda, like, uh, jonesing for a shot!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for the warm welcome(?)...there indeed is comfort in numbers,...and with this group I'm looking for that big indian to throw the water cooler through the window at any moment!!!
    [​IMG]

Ed

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I am going with all 8-frame medium supers. I have 18 built as of now,

tecumseh:
    you have no addiction. you simply wish to be well prepared for any eventuality.

sounds like you do have some folks about that want you to give bee keeping a try. some of your post certainly qualifies for the bee keeping deal of the year award.

imho bee keepers by and large are an unusual group of folks. some folks think there is a tendency for bee keepers to be loners? some of us however think that most bee keepers are very much social folks who really enjoy working alone.

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Howdy tecumseh. All joking aside, I really do want to be prepared. I'm still trying to get a grasp on how many supers to use per hive. For now I'm hoping for 3 mediums for the bees, 2 mediums for honey, and a medium for a "feed box/cover". I've been using quart jars to feed my small colony and placing a super on top to cover it with. I'm thinking, though, that I will have to increase my feeding amount with a full sized colony...that is, if I need to feed...I'm going to do my best to leave plenty of honey for them. Do the number of boxes per colony sound in the ballpark for what I'll need?

Figuring 6 boxes per colony my current inventory would handle 3 colonies. I'm hoping to catch a couple of swarms to get some survivor genes in my bee yard so I'm wanting to get another dozen medium boxes. I'm going to be putting out swarm traps in several locations close to the feral colonies that I've mapped out. Right now I have 4 telescoping tops right now, but I'm considering going with some migratory tops for the rest of the what I need...the migratory are a lot less $$$. :|

The two gentlemen are indeed very supportive of me. My mentor has been keeping bees for 15-20 years, his friend (my 2nd mentor?) has been keeping them for around 70 years. :D He started helping his daddy when he was 6 years old and he'll be 80 his next birthday. Both of them are like kids around the bees...they love it! ;) I'll be helping my mentor some this spring work his bees, he has about 30 hives right now but is planning on scaling back some being as he has some mobility issues. I've been studying and reading almost non-stop, but there's nothing like being there...doing it...*especially* with someone who knows what and why they're doing what they're doing.

I made it up to the Alabama Beekeeper Association annual meeting in Montgomery last year. Beekeepers are definitely social people! I enjoyed the meeting immensely and was able to pick up most of my pre-ordered equipment there. I've found that beekeepers *really* like to talk bees, too,...when they start talking I listen! :)

Well, I'd better stop rambling or I'll wear out my welcome. :D
    Ed

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i just got out of beehab.....Robert Downey Jr an Charlie Sheen are now converts....so anyways look Bro....my room is the 3rd from the end in the west wing....under the sink in da bathroom is my secrerate stash....honey, wax, smoker fuel an a lighter (da good stuff), some 2'' rounds of mesh for da specticals if ya need a viel fix, some ABJ mags (dont be smudgen page 36 in da june issue), some swarm lure made with Iddees moonshine an a small vile of ''ode de hive'' for da ladys (dont splash on to much or Gunter the orderly will smell it a toss your bunk).....look up an old beek named Gfarms when ya get in....he'll hook you up with Bees for da sting fix an whatever else ya need....you'll have to trade for em though....Good luck man :)

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

2kooldad:

That's prcieless! :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Ditto.... I needed a good laugh... :lol:

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

just keepen it real....gotta take care O my brudda beeks....you know how it is :|

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2kool is too kool. gave me a chuckle. thanks for that.

in the swamp writes:
    I really do want to be prepared. I'm still trying to get a grasp on how many supers to use per hive.

tecumseh:
    what was the old saying... luck favors the well prepared.

I think you have got the numbers figured out about right... but always add a few more than you think you think you will need.

sounds like you are in an excellent place for a beginner... having good mentors in a bee yard teaches you a lot about the more pragmatic aspects of beekeeping. the book stuff is great, but it can never replace directed application in the field.

17. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

...somebody done tore out page 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

18. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hey swamp, if you get the cure please keep it to yourself I don't want or need it. Jim

19. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Don't worry, Jim, I ain't looking for one. ;)