My supers have mold starting in them?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Oct 6, 2013.

  1. Yankee11

    Yankee11 New Member

    Messages:
    625
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    We extracted several weeks ago. After letting the bees clean the frames, we sprayed the frames with BT for wax moths.

    I stacked the supers up in the garage. Well I didn't think about the ventilation. Now they have mold starting to
    grow on the frames and on the comb.

    I just made a large screened bottom frame to set the supers on and get them off the ground for ventilation. What can
    I do to stop the mold? Would it be ok spray the frames with water and bleach and let dry before winter storage?
     
  2. pistolpete

    pistolpete New Member

    Messages:
    469
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    The bleach should be 9 parts water 1 part bleach solution. Bees will clean up mold no problem if it persists.
     

  3. tecumseh

    tecumseh New Member

    Messages:
    6,487
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I would do nothing besides first opening the supers up temporarily to some sunshine and what ever mold might still exist there come next spring you will find 'the girls' have no problem cleaning those frames up much better than anything you can accomplish (no matter what the mechanism).
     
  4. Yankee11

    Yankee11 New Member

    Messages:
    625
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Ok, thanks,

    I now have them elevated and open on the bottoms. Screen to keep out mice. I'll just monitor and see how they do.