my swarm catch was checked

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by tmrschessie, Jul 2, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Checked them today after work and the bottom box was so full it looked like it was ready to explode. There were a few bees up in the upper box of older frames but not showing much interest. So i put on a new box with new frames on the bottom and the full box on the top. hope this helps them expand.

I took the older frames up to the garage to cut out the old wax and clean them up and put new foundation in them. Tom

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm learning that a swarm has a mind of it's own, and they will do what they want to do. I hope yours turns out ok.

3. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Yep fully understand that...As George's saying goes ..." bees are bees and do as the please" Just trying to keep my single catch this year happy...LOL Tom

4. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Never experienced bees that preferred new equipment over old! Something about that bee stank they love!! This is a new one on me! :grin: Are they from South Beach, or Hollywood??? High heels, or pumps?? :lol: Good luck with your bees!

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A swarm population will drop a little during the first 21 days and unless there is a good honey flow in progress the bees will stay and only work the area in the hive that they have the population to cover. you will not se an increase in the population until 25 days after the swarm is hived but then the population will explode. A swarm that is covering 10 frame will expand to covering 30 frame in a week to 10 days if they were given drawn comb so the queen could lay right away. Be prepared for the expansion of the colony by anticipating and adding space before it is needed. Keep in mind that a good solid frame of caped brood will yield bees to cover 2 frames, and all the brood that is capped will emerge over the next 9 days.

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Thanks for all the replies, An FYI....the old frames were very old and unused for many years. It was very dry and not pliable for the most part. the bees were cleaning it up but I thought that with the current flow on that they would do better with new frames. I am in the process of cutting all the old frames apart and putting new foundation in. I have all the old boxes painted and dry. Scrapping and cleaning etc is done. The old and new frames are ready for the new foundation and will be adding another box in a week, just need to check them and make sure they are ready. Since I opened the entrance to the full width it has been non stop going and coming. We have a lot of flowers etc around the house and about 15 acres of various trees and weeds that are full of pollen right now. They have water available less then 50 yards in the creek and I have a water source for them near the hive....that they do not use...lol Thanks again, the relearning curve has been expedited with all your help.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yep seems like they are slow to reuse the very old comb once it dries out. The water that is close to the hive could be too close, once a bee does find it and goes back to do her waggle dance she is telling the other bees "there is water in the hive" and they must think she is a little nuts.

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Yep George, that is what I was noticing about the use of the older comb. Also they were not cleaning out the bottom board very well. Had to scrape it free of the old comb they cut out each time I opened them up. If that is the case on the water, they are all going crazy this morning with the rain coming down. LOL Tom

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rain? wow, that sounds wonderful! Glad your bees are doing well

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Raining again this morning. The bees have been going and coming like crazy. Will have to check them again soon to make sure they have enough room. Tom

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Swarm catch was checked UPDATED video

They have chewed an opening larger in the corner and are now using it more then the bottom box with the new foundation? Should I leave them alone...put then box of new foundation on the top, or just plug the hole with silicone? Here is a short video showing what is going on....Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7DzXlgoxE

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tom it says your video is private

13. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Thanks George, just made it Public. Tom

P.S. let me know if it works...thanks.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would have put the foundation on the top and not worry about the hole in the box.

15. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Should I go move it up now? Tom

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would---this way you'll be letting the hive expand in its more natural way---upwards. Besides, you would generally want to keep your brood and queen down below. . That way (brood below), you can check your stores without having to disturb the brood nest and queen every time you open it up. After the combs are built, you can decide if you want to exchange some frames between the boxes, depending on circumstances

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry for the slow response, internet is acting up.

Yes move the foundation to the top.

18. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Ok will go do it now....thank you both very much. Tom

19. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Just switched them, they had not been drawing out any comb yet?? Will see how it goes in a week or two. Thank you again. Tom

20. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

DSC00408.jpg
    Well it was extremely warm last evening, however the bees were more where they should have been. They are still pulling in a lot of pollen and several of the weed varieties will be starting up soon. So I believe I will have a good chance of pulling them through the winter. We will see in a week or so, I will open them up again and see how they are progressing. Tom