My very first swarm removal

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by AcmeBees, Apr 30, 2012.

1. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

I was camping at the East Coast Slingshot Tournament with a buddy of mine. Saturday night 7:45pm my wife calls and says I got a swarm call. So, with a cardboard box, some tape, a flashlight, and a twinkle in our eyes we set off for about a 20 mile drive.

Find a just smaller than a football cluster on a bush about waist high off the ground. With rain minutes away I was a little rushed. The homeowner didn't care if I cut some of the bush, so the main branch they were on was lopped off and gently placed into the box. About 1/3 of the cluster remained on some small branches. I held the box up under them and waited. less than a minute and the rush of lemongrass and fanning inside the box, I was confident the queen was in the box. A little shake and some hand clean up of the stragglers and we were done.

Back to camping and the ladoes spent the first night on the front seat of my truck.

Hived them yesterday, hope they like the new home.

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Good deal. Now if you give the home owner a quart of honey, maybe they'll let you set up a swarm trap there for all future swarms....

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! Fun stuff right? I got tagged on the arm this morning trying to knock a swarm off in a tote while working...hoping to get home and return suited up before they leave...

4. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Right on Dr. I did take their name and address, I said I would send them some honey in the fall.

I got nailed getting this one too. It was as soon as I got there. The first attempt at moving some of the branches and pow on the top of the hand. I think it was the rain that had them upset and I was the proverbial straw. They were OK when I dumped them in a hive body. Nothing aggressive.