My Wedding Surprise!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gator_56, May 7, 2012.

1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

So I got married this past Saturday. My wife is a bit of worrier and asked that arrive at the wedding venue early Saturday morning and oversee all of the preparations while she and the bridesmaids got hair and make up done. We had the ceremony at the Women's Club back in my tiny home town(1 red light in the whole county), my wife however has lived her entire life in Tallahassee and was convinced that where we were having this wedding was nothing but pure swamp! So for the past few months she as had been asking me if needed to get bug spray for our guest(it was outside wedding) and if there would be a lot of mosquitoes etc. I continued to assure her that there was nothing to worry about, that my home town was relatively bug free... as much as any town in Florida can claim bug free status anyway!

So as I arrived at the venue Sat. morning I noticed this massive swarm of flies in the front yard and was thinking to myself, "great i will never hear the end of this" as I visions of our guest being overtaken by this swarm of locust. However as I walked a little closer I noticed it was not flies or locust, but it was indeed a swarm of honey bees! My best friend and stood there literally in the midst of this swarm and watched as they started to form on a branch of a tree about 12 feet off the ground and in a matter of 3 mins. they cleared the yard and into this clump on a branch....

I started my first hive a week ago tomorrow and I got witness my first swarm less than a week later on my wedding day... I'm not sure if this a good omen.... but I'm going to take as such!

2012-05-05_11-21-39_278.jpg

One of my friends is a beekeeper and came back Sunday morning and collected the swarm and is starting a new hive with them. I told him I wanted some honey from our "love hive" for our 1 year anniversary!!!

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Neat story

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Thats great. I too had a wedding to attend Sat. (for my cousin, not me) and I got a swarm call just at the end of it.

Great Story

James

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

For a new beekeeper that is a good omen for sure. Good luck with your new marriage and new hive.

Now for some not sought after or asked for advice but some that has helped me for 38 years: Just because you're married to her now, don't stop dating her. It will keep your marriage young and alive. :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I'm not sure if this a good omen

tecumseh:
    how could it be anything besides the best of omens??? the swarm is a social gathering that represent the start of a new life... temporarily in a waiting period as a decision is made as to where the best home might be located.

a good marriage is a lot of hard work. to repeat the wisdom of one of my friends... 'to keep her you got to do the same thing you did to catch her'. that has worked for me.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Congratulations! Very cool story. Yes, good signs! Too bad ya couldn't have kept them yourself but you might have got in trouble climbing a tree in your wedding duds...nice potential wedding gift!

+++++ to what bama and tec said. Communication and forgiveness are two I would like to add also. My wife and I are at 19 years this summer. That is rare time for us "generation x-ers." at age 40." My children tell me there are more divorced parents for classmates at school than married with same mom and dad. What ever happened to "for better or for worse, richer or for poorer, in health and in sickness....?" Wishing you a long and happy union!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Congrats on the knot tying and the swarm.

Careful what you are asking for a year later from the love nest!!:lol:

As far as a good omen, you bet!! I tell everybody that has a swarm at their house it is a good omen!!

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Congreat and good luck....

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't. Congratulations!

:mrgreen:

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Congratulations Gator_56, hope you and the misses have a long life together and enjoy each other company as much as my wife and I do, and have fun with the bees.

kebee

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

congratulations gator56!
    a great 'beginning' and a great omen.
    best wishes for you and all the ladies in your life! :grin:

12. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Congratulations to you gator56.
    Seems like a great omen to me, too!

Every happiness to you and the new mrs. gator56, and thank you for sharing your story.

13. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Congrats to you and your new bride. If it would have been me I would've got the swarm, but maybe that's why I'm on wife #3. I would have to say a bee swarm at your wedding is a great omen:thumbsup:., as opposed to a swarm of ex girlfriends that would be a really bad, bad omen:box:

14. jim314

jim314 New Member

Congrats on the wedding. And I really like the "love hive" name. Keep them bees close :) And to tag on to what Perry said, Tech said it best.

15. bee stung

bee stung New Member

Congrats to you and your new bride.
    as I was told
    if you ask the old married coupels ,,, the one's that are the happyest are to one's that there spouse become there best friend ..

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gator, Blessings to you both on what should be considered the most important day in your lives. May the happiness you felt on your wedding day accompany you every day. And when either of you finds cause for irritation with the other (something that every happily married couple experiences on occasion), let your recollections of the love you feel for each other now serve to wash away any negative feelings.
    As any good beekeeper knows, in order to live in peace with your bees, you have to handle them gently and with understanding. May God give you both the qualities of good beekeepers for a long and happy life together. :wave:

17. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Thanks for all the well wishes guys! I took the swarm as a good omen and a neat memory to go along with a great day and a wonderful woman!!!

18. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member