Mystery Solved!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Apr 4, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

During my first inspection last weekend, I found wet cells and freshly-capped honey. It was a "What the heck?" moment for sure as there shouldn't be any appreciable amounts of nectar until May here. At least that's what I've been told. Today, Lynn and I were walking the dogs in a neighbor's lower forty and decided to check out another beeks hives placed there by permission of the landowner. I knew every hive had been a dead out from a previous visit. Apparently no disease, but very small clusters which had probably succumbed to exposure and lots of bee butts sticking out of cells from, I'm guessing, starvation. One dead out, though, was very active...with my girls "repositioning" the honey back to home base. So that's where they got the "nectar" came from. Ha! "Opportunistic" is not a strong enough word for these little stinkers.:lol:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

imho robbing sometimes get a bad rap. I just have to wonder what decent bee would not rob?

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

:thumbsup::lol:

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I noticed a friend and fellow keep lost all three of his hives this winter, he's been in and out of the hospital from a burst appendix and I don't think he knows his bees are gone but has seen the activity during the day around his hives but I'm pretty sure it's my bees robbing out anything left.

I even had a stack of supers in the driveway I was painting and in the morning had a few scouts checking things out, by afternoon I had a cloud of bees robbing out a couple cells I missed when extracting.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm with Marbees. :thumbsup::lol: I guess it really depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on when it's happening. :wink:

6. litefoot

litefoot New Member

The 4 dead outs look like they may have had a chance if they'd been combined before the winter. But these boxes were abandoned. And yes it's an interesting juxtaposition being the robber rather than robbee. Where it's illegal for me to mess with his hives, the ninja girls in the striped pajamas can take all they want, with a clear conscience, in broad daylight.:lol: I guess it's good that the honey is not going to waste.