Nailing frame stuff

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I need to nail/glue this paint stirring stick into the groove of this deep frame. What is the best way to do this? Is just glue sufficient? I've heard of these "Brad" nailers but all I have is an "Ed" nailer....my hammer. I'm open to a trip to Home Depot to get one of these nailers though....which kind?

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Glue should be good enough. If your wanting to nail it I would go to the local harbor freight and pick up the $20.00 brad nailer and go to town putting them together

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Little bit of melted wax works too

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Brads can be bought at any hardware store. Just ask for a 16 or 18 gauge brad, 3/4 in. long. "approx" They come in different lengths. Ask for what you need to go through the stick.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Be sure to buy WOOD GLUE, not just white or elmer's glue.
    The best is Titebond II, which is water resistant. Regular Titebond is not.
    Best to avoid potential chemical issues of epoxie or strong glues.
    Personally, I don't think melted wax will be enough in the heat of summer. You also don't need to brush any wax on the guide- they'll attach wax to the wood much better than you can.

Remember, the guide does not have to be perfect all the way across- there can be 1/2" gaps at the ends or in between stirrer stick segments. The bess aren't too particular.

I like to use the larger popsicle sticks called 'craft sticks'- most variety stores have them, sometimes in the big office supply area. They don't hang down as much as a paint stirrer, so you will get more comb and honey to cut if you do crush and strain. Depends on your goals. If this is brood chamber then it won't matter. :)

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Omie, said it all :thumbsup: