Nailing frames??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by trinibee, Dec 5, 2011.

1. trinibee

trinibee New Member

Hey i'm doing up some frames for next year and havn't been able to get through half of them as yet. The wife :D suggested i use a nail gun to get things done a bit faster. Any suggestions at to which and what type of nailgun / stapler I should get?

I'm more geared toward one of those cordless ones with out the noisy compressors

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I remember seeing someone use one of those cordless staplers and I can't help but think I wasn't overly impressed (or I would have remembered better). :mrgreen:
    What length of nail or staple will one of those shoot?

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

I have Paslode 18 ga and found it too bulky for frame assembly. And you have to buy those fuel cells.
    It's handy for crown molding when you are on ladder, and it makes noise, as well.
    My preference is 1 1/2" stapler, nice Hitachi, I surprised myself with, last Christmas. :D
    The most versatile tool for BK woodenware.
    Before that I was using my 10 year old Porter Cable gun.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I use a Ridgid 1 1/4" narrow crown stapler. A dab of glue on the frame joints followed by staples in the top, bottom and sides will give you frames that are tough to pull apart. I use tight bond III glue, it is waterproof. For the wedge I still hand nail, makes it easier to remove the wedge when that time comes.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

harbor freight 19.00 i have missused it never oiled, glue and paint all over, dropped, thrown, left out in the rain, safty foot wired open so it will shoot staples any time trigger is pulled even if it is aimed at my neighbor and the darn thing still refuses to die. have had it 5 years and made 100 of thousands of frames I use a small craftsman portable with a 2 gallon tank and compressor :D

6. Steve10

Steve10 New Member

I'm with Riverrat. I actually bought these three years ago. Just like Riverrat said, I've abused this in just about every way (except bypassing the safety foot) but it keeps working. The combo is handy because it's light weight and quiet, especially since my shop is in the basement. It's probably put together over 500 boxes and 5000 frames, plus nucs, plus feeders, plus..... I think I've got my money's worth out of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2 ... -3795.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-g ... 97080.html

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I also use an air nailer/stapler at times (still like to hand nail and seeing as I'm not that big I can afford the time)
    The air nailer may be more expensive to begin with, what with the compressor etc. but when you factor in all the other things you can do (flat tires, soccerballs , dusting off power tools, even painting, etc.) I wouldn't bother with the airless models.
    Just my opinion, if I had a newborn trying to sleep while I was doing this I might well go airless! :mrgreen: :lol:

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

A very timely post. I've been wondering about an air nailer so this helps me decide.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

I adapted my portable air tank to use std compressor fittings, fill it at the compressor, and take to the barn, can use it almost all afternoon with stapler, or brad nailer.

Having said that I still hand nail my frames, after glueing. Have a nice jig that I lay up about 14 frames at a time.

10. rast

rast New Member

I bought a reconditioned Bostich air nailer. Price was a hair more than the cheap ones, hasn't missed a lick yet.

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I use the nailer mentioned by Steve and have a 35 gallon compressor in the shop and a 2 gallon one on wheels for travel. As Perry said, you'd be surprised how valuable compressors are.

With the mesquite we have, I've filled a bunch of tires. Never been to Trinidad, but I had my share of flats caused by cactus in Bonaire. :D

Walt

12. trinibee

trinibee New Member

Hmmm. I was looking at picking up the RIDGID ZRR150FSA 1-1/2 inch 18 Gauge Finish Stapler and a Bostitch FN1664K 16-Gauge Straight Finish Nailer.
    I decided not to go cordless cause i'll mostly be using it at home and well i already got on of those porter cable compressors.

tnx for all the feedback i really appreciate it :)