Name one LITTLE thing you love about having bees...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok I'll go first, since i went into my hive today for the first time since last Fall....

I love that after tending my bees, my hair and my clothes have a faint smell like a campfire from my smoker. In fact, since I wear loose outer clothes rather than a bee suit, I get to enjoy the scent for a few days afterwards. Makes me think of being a kid again at summer camp. i always try to wash my hair BEFORE I do the bees so I can have 'campfire hair' for a few days afterwards. :mrgreen:

Am I nuts?

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Maybe!

I love the fact that my raspberry harvest has literally tripled!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No, Omie, you just have good taste :mrgreen:

What do I love about bees?
    I drove a transit bus in downtown Vancouver for 11 years! :shock:
    After several assaults and the usual stresses involved with the position I was burning out. Then I stumbled upon beekeeping.
    What I love about it is that when I go out to my hives, the whole world stops! From the moment I lift that first outer cover off, time and troubles cease to exist for me. I can go out to my hives and swear I was only there for an hour at best and my poor wife will inform me it's actually been 3 1/2!

I guess in a nutshell, it's an escape.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I l0ve just watching them for hours on end, bringing in pollen, nectar and propolis, building comb, tending to the young, propolizing up holes for the winter and tearing it open for the summer. Standing in the middle of a swarm and then being able to catch them. Running my finger through some fresh honey in the spring.

I guess I am a little nuts also, oh well!!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I must say Perry has incapsulated my 'state' in the bee yard. It is almost like time stands still for just a while. That hasn't changed much in.... well more years than I care to admit.

actually the thing I use to like best about bee keeping was the lingering smell of bee go on my white uniform and the odd expression on folks face who would sell you a 'coke' after you had pulled honey.

thinking about it just a bit there is a good list of smells associated with bee keeping that I likely quite a bit. the smell of a heavily brooding hive, the slightly sour smell of a honey house, the smell of a newly opened box of foundation.....

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

G3 writes:
    I guess I am a little nuts also, oh well!!

tecumseh:
    humm... I think you have company?

7. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

For me, it's not the smoke smell, but the "hive smell" on my hands. I work the girls bare-handed, and always end up with propolis under and around my fingernails that doesn't wash off for days. I can be at work, sitting in a boring meeting, striking a thoughtful pose of holding my chin in my hand, when I'm really just smelling the hive...

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"I can be at work, sitting in a boring meeting, striking a thoughtful pose of holding my chin in my hand, when I'm really just smelling the hive..."

Priceless ! :mrgreen:

9. Tia

Tia New Member

The smells are wonderful, yes. But my absolue favorite thing is when the girls festoon! I think it's just the prettiest thing when they're all "holding hands" and forming a sort of bee lace! It amazes me every time!

10. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I have to agree, all the smells are great! I even love the smell of new wood and foundation when I'm assembling equipment.

But my favorite moment in the bee yard must be when I spot some new bees just chewing their way out of the cells, their fuzzy heads poking out.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I am going to answer this one with a question. Where else you going to find and manipulate that many ladies working together without argument. especially for a man that is going to take it all in the end. it is a labor of love for me. :Dancing:

now I must duck before I get hit with a hammer :drinks:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Either watching a swarm marching into a hive, or finding a queen in a cutout. Hard choice between the two.

13. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

The buzzing noise, definitely. When all the bees are happily working and not really paying attention to you then you can know that all is well in the bee world. There is something about knowing that all is well for the bees that gives me peace in knowing that all will be well for me too.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like all the things you all have mentioned, plus knowing there are others as crazy as i am, or crazier. :lol: :lol: Jack

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

this is worse than tater chips!! I can't name just ONE!

I love the smells, I love watching the bees and feeling like somehow I am being allowed to view a totally separate and secret world that is NOTHING like the one I walk around in.

I love the multitudes of colors and textures in the hives, and on the bees! I love to look at the bees and see the very subtle differences between each of them!

I love to watch the unity with which the bees work and live.... you NEVER see that in people.

I love the sight of the empty supers stacked in the shed and the hopeful feeling that I get when I stand in the shed door to see that....but at the same time I love to look at the old, worn, tired looking boxes that all stand in the stack looking like they are really enjoying their rest. I love the usefulness of all of the different parts and pieces of equipment where nothing is wasted, or pointless.

I love all the little noises that come from the hives! The sounds of drone wings, the different tones and types of buzzing, the queens piping, to me they all sound like a wonderful symphony, perfectly orchestrated by the Lord just to further display His perfection and the reminder that on my own I can only create chaos in comparison.

I love (and will miss tremendously) all of the tactile things about the bees and the hives! The feel of the wax and propolis on my fingers, the feel of the tiny little bee legs walking along my knuckles, the sensation that's sort of like a chill when a little bee rolls around on the skin of my inner forearm and her little hairs tickle mine. I love the smooth, silky feel of the honey on my fingers and how much stickier it always seems when it's in my hair. I love the feel of the wooden hives against the palms of my hands, and the gritty feeling of the tops of the outer covers......

I think most of all though, I love the anticipation building up as I walk down the little hill in my backyard to go see the bees knowing that all of the other things I love about them are waiting for me to get there.

16. rast

rast New Member

Amazing, I just walked in from the beeyard in the back field, turned on the puter and there is this post.
    As I got to the end of the yard and turned around, the sun was just right and I could see the thousands of bees in the air coming and going. I stood there and watched, then wondered if a camera could catch the scene.

17. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

DANG IT, ya'll took all my answers.
    I love that when I leave my world (the grind and hurry)and enter into the ladies domaine of harmony,peace and community that everything just slows down. One of the few places that you can witness LIFE from start to finish, from an egg being laid gently in a cell to a tired/worn field bee kicking its last on the bottom board and every stage between. It is just peaceful (for the most part). Jim

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I like when i'm working in my garden somewhere, and a little honeybee lands on a plant I'm working on, and I know she is most likely one of my bees.
    I also like being in town, a half mile down the hill from my house, and seeing a honeybee working some flower in front of the cafe where I'm enjoying breakfast....and wondering if maybe she is one of my bees...

19. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I even like the smell of goldenrod honey in the fall. I notice it now when hiking, and I know there is a feral colony somewhere nearby, but I have yet to find one.

There's also that sound of bees milling about, when you put your ear to the box in winter or early spring. To me it sounds like running water, but I know it is the sound of life.

20. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I like learning something new every time I open the hive, go to a bee meeting, or bee club activity. I also like that non-beekeeper types tell me I am doing the coolest thing in the world when secretly they are thinking, "She's nuts!"