Naming your apiary?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm just a beginner on the whole beekeeping thing but I'm planning for the future here. My oldest (8) has shown an interest in selling honey and other products at farmer's markets and other outlets so I'm trying to come up with a name or something to put on a jar other than "Honey". How did everyone name their apiary. We've got a unique surname that's hard to spell and pronounce so I'm leery of using that. If we expand more and put hives on my dad's farm which he has named "Red Road Acres", where "Red Road" comes from Native American lore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_red_road). I've also thought about trying to incorporate the kids' initials into something as I'd probably set aside any profits from the beekeeping venture into a college fund.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How about "Dad's farm honey". It gives a good, homey feeling.:cool:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i named my apiary after the river my land is on, the rush river, so rush river honey companyâ„¢, but the label on my jar is rush river goldâ„¢. the river is a very popular trout stream here in the midwest. for me, choosing this name was very helpful to promote my business, and to stand out.

sorry about my signature, it disappeared, and i think g3 stole it......:grin: :wave:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I like 'Red Road Honey'. I usually don't care for names gotten from combining name parts or initials (R&J Farms, Jen-Ro Farms, etc)
    I say just go whimsical with something appealing to your boy- Bandit Bees, Rusty Ranch Honey, Scrappin' Bee Apiaries, Roughshod Ranch Honey, Busted Wagon Bees, etc. He might like some name that implies tough little bees or wild west, etc. Make it colorful and memorable, and poeple will smile and buy it.

I named my backyard hives "Wayward Girl Apiaries"....but obviously that wouldn't be appropriate for your situation...lol! :lol:

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

My kids came up with my label: "Lick and a Promise Farm"

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"My daddy's honey" is a very successful family apiary here in NC.

"Back Acres" is one of my favorite farm names.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I named the place here G3 Farms cause I am the third generation of Georges, kind of simple. Was really looking for a good symbol for a branding iron for cattle actually.

100_2309.jpg

:lol::lol: that pretty funny right there, that would at least get people to asking about your beekeepers or at least giving you a raised eyebrow look.

Glad to see you back riverbee.................what did I steal!?!?

Indy that's a good one also, I like it!!

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I named mine after a nearby creek. I was already selling bobwhite quail under the name Sapony Creek Gamebirds so it just seemed logical when I got into bee's to have Sapony Creek Apiaries. :thumbsup:

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

I chose name Marbees Apiaries. Mar are the first three letters of my last name. And my bees make honey:grin:

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Well, combining initials wouldn't work because I'd have C&D&J&H Apiaries and that's just a mouthful. I like Red Road Honey except I'm not planning on putting any hives there for at least another year. Daddy's Honey would be good but Mrs. DLMKA is going to ask why it's not Mama's Honey. I also thought about "Quarter Acre Farms" since we have a 1/4 acre lot in the city.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I always toyed with the idea of naming mine "Struggling Bee Apiaries" with a logo of a little cartoon bee flying with a stick over her shoulders with a bucket on either end. Try and draw out the sympathy buyer! :wink:

12. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I went with Bsweet because Bee sweet was already in use and B is the first letter of my sir name, The sweet of course ties in with honey and it sells/sounds better than Bspit or Bstinger. Jim

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

So you would have PETA people on your back in no time:lol:

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I forget who it was that named theirs "beepuke"

15. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I was thinking about T&A honey farm for ours. Using the first letters from the boss and my name

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, I have two Im thinking of. I saw at Rural King they sell chapstick called chicken poop. Then there Monkey Butt powder. I was thinking of Bee Spit but im not the only one that has thought of that. Not sure that would go well. Then there is Cree's Bees Apiaries. Last name is Cree.

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When I got into bees and was looking for a name. My dad was in the nursing home and thought I was nuts. anyhow the next day I stopped in he asked what a hive cost he then handed me money and said he wanted one. So I named it Hoover and Sons apiary. My dad being the Hoover and me the sons. Well when my oldest boy seen the labels he said I sure hope you was talking about tyler there. Tyler the youngest
    said hope your talking about mitchel. neither one ever figured out I was the son and they was safe:grin:

18. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

19. ski

ski New Member

I live on Dow Drive and the subdivision is called Dow Acres, so it just seemed to fit that it should be Dow acres Honey.

20. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

LOL X2 I like those!