Nasty Honey??????

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by w_baker76, Jun 24, 2013.

1. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

We extracted some honey today. Was very nasty smelling and tasting. Very dark in color. This stuff stunk up the whole house. What caused this?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are any number of plants in Texas that might/can produce honey that either taste or smells quite nasty. bitter week, broom weed and some oaks are the first that comes to mind. personal preference and a bit of marketing skills can make what one person thinks is nasty turn into a gold mine for some one else. viva la difference as the french would say.

I get some of what you describe here also and sometimes suspect it is likely some fall honey where a good deal of golden rod has infused itself in the mix of other floral sources... smell a bit like old nasty guy socks although if you hold you nose it taste quite nice. I myself have a customer who has a standing order from me for this product which he uses in a honey based health remedy.

3. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

I don't see how anybody could eat this stuff. Also does not seem very thick. Pretty runny. I got a little sick from what little I tried. The only thing that was blooming was some type of yellow flower. thought it was fermented.

4. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

Well after some thought and letting others smell the honey. I am now thinking that maybe the bees have been feeding on molasses lick tubs or liquid feeders for live stock.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ah man, bummer.. I had to Google molasses lick tubs. Makes sense.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Is this a new package hive this year.