necessities of your honey house!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 30, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

My honey house is almost finished. Sheet rock is up electric ran with good lighting! I converted a shed that I had into my honey house! I have a utility room plastic sink with water, air condition, 6' double door in the back and I am looking into cvt tile floor over my plywOod floor!

what do u guys have that u feel is 100% needed in your honey house?

I will post some pictures tonight!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What size is your honey house? I have never had one, always used the kitchen, but that just isn't gonna work anymore.
    I want to build an outbuilding and I can go as big as 12 x 18 without a building permit. Any bigger and then I need a permit which would then trigger a new property assesment and then there go the taxes. :???:
    I am going to build a smaller one as well 12 x 14 to just store stuff in.
    I think you might want a heater just to bring things up to temp for extracting.

3. adamant

adamant Member

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Are you subject to any state regulations for a honey house? I know here in Indiana you basically have to meet the requirements of a commercial kitchen - stainless steel sinks, floor drains, etc. - if you plan on retailing honey (i.e., selling thru a local health food store or other third party). Personal sales from home and/or farmer's markets are exempt.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I wondered about the specifics of this indy...I planned on marketing mine along with my tomatoes at local farmers markets...I read some topical information for Indiana but initially understood I would have to be "certified" even for farmer market. I figure the health food stores and orchards are already spoken for anyway. I suppose IN.gov has the info?

On a side note, you live in my absolute favorite county in Indiana. We go to little Nashville throughout the year...I simply love all that area, very peaceful for me. My wife's uncle, Thomas Tedrowe, has a fine furniture workshop/studio there. He is on the artisan tour there. I have sold my handcrafted pens at the Season's the last five years for the Brown County Winter Art and Craft Fair. Without a doubt, Brown co. would be my first choice for a retirement home in the future...:smile:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    what do u guys have that u feel is 100% needed in your honey house?

tecumseh:
    being able to wash stuff down afterwards is a definite plus and I would love to have some ac in my little honey house but I suspect a fan will have to do for this season. here you cannot have an approved honey house inside a house or living quarters. to be stamped by the state you need to have the same things you have in a commercial kitchen... generally stainless steel equipment and multiple sinks for washing hands, washing utensils, sterilizing and rinsing (I think??? 4 in total).

7. pturley

pturley New Member

Check craigslist for stainless fixtures!

A couple years ago, a local bar went out of business. I managed to pick up both an 8' long triple basin with sideboards on each end; required in Ohio for foodservice (dishwashing station), and a deep-well single basin (24"W x 20" x 16" deep sink, with a 30" sideboard) both for $100 (from a $150 asking price).

I gave my father the single basin but should've kept it! (No where to store it at the time!)

I also have several stainless steel shelves from a broken glass front display cabinet from local bake shop that remodeled. Just need to keep your eyes open!

With the scrap prices for stainless being through the roof now ($2.50/lb for 300 series!), they may be a bit harder to find, but they are available at times. I could take the triple basin to the scrapyard and get more than twice I paid for both! (it's about 100#)

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If the climate change around here is permanent, (which it's feeling), I don't foresee ever needing a honey house. But I do enjoy my tomatoes.

9. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

It's murky because there are "old" rules and "new" rules, and what counts is how they are interpreted by the your County health department. However, for personal sales from home or at farmer's markets, we're covered under the Home-based vendor rule:
    http://www.harrisoncountyhealth.com/HBV-1309.htm
    and
    http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FS/FS-18-W.pdf
    What varies from county to county is enforcement of the labeling requirement of this rule:
    All HBV foods must have the following statement printed at a minimum type size of 10 points on product labels:
    "This product is home produced and processes and the production area has not been inspected by the State Department of Health".

In talking with beeks around the State, some counties expect honey to have this label, most don't. For some that do, you can often just have a sign on the table rather than a label on every jar of honey.
    Lastly, if you're interested in growing bigger and need a certified kitchen, the easiest way to do this is find a church with a certified kitchen. Perhaps a small donation and a couple bottles of honey to the right people. I've done this, not because I needed "certified", but just because I needed the space!

My wife and I often talked about "someday" moving to Brown County, and then she was diagnosed with cancer in 1999. And again in 2001. Surviving that, we decided there are no more "somedays", only today, so we made the leap and have a log cabin in the woods. I have a long commute to work, but totally worth it!

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for all info and links! Very cool. I am glad you all embraced your dream and took advantage of the here and now...it's interesting how life emergencies can focus our energies to the most important people and things in our lives...

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Are you allowed to build two 12 x 18's really close together? :wink:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You know, I have actually thought about that! :lol: :thumbsup:

13. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I would consider having a dehumidifier in the room. Keep your honey as "dry" as possible, and maybe slow down the SHB a bit.

14. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I don't have a honey room. . . yet. But as a farm my kitchen is labeled as a farm kitchen and doesn't have to follow such strict guidelines. I wonder if I can transfer it to a honey room if I grow to the size that warrants such a structure?
    This thread is interesting to me. It will, hopefully, give me a good idea of what I'll need to get set up for production.