Need a good queen source

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by queen_bee09, Jul 21, 2010.

1. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

Hi!
    I am looking for a reputable queen producer that is either located in or will ship to Michigan. Thanks!

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

While most queen suppliers will ship to Michigan either thru snail mail over night mailor UPS over night I will only recommend one.
    Hardeman apiaries who supply Itialian queens at $11.25 each and Russian hybrids at $13.50 each.

In the early days I bought from them and not knowing any better let them ship snail mail. the queen even though in the mail for 5 days and a sixth rideing around in the carriers hot car did very well. I still get a few from them every once in a while to divearsay our breeding stock of drones. And one year I won 3 as a door prize at our spring bee conferance. The are the only queen breaders who will donate queens to the club(SEMBA).

If you would like Michigan raised queen you can contact Roger Sutherland at sembebees.org for a sourse.

I have also bought NWC queens from Tim at Honey Run Apiaries. We took the drive down and picked those girls up our selves. Tim is a nice fellow to talk with.
    http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/queen_orders.phtml

:mrgreen: Al

3. rgy

rgy New Member

Do you think it is too late to requeen in michigan? i have two nuc's I bought about a month ago and they are all but empty. Terrible laying pattern, hardly any brood (I would say calling it shotgun brood would be generous) I was just going to let them either make it or die.

Queen-bee, I called Hardeman bees and queens will be available tuesday.

Where are you in Michigan, I'm over in Saugatuck on lake Mi.?

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

No it is not to late to requeen in Michigan. But I would not waste any more time since they should be in their second deep by now with half the top one full of honey.
    I would also make a mental note not to buy nucs from that source again. Your nucs should be busting at the seams by now and maybe even getting ready to swarm from that tiny nuc box.
    I'm also south east Michigan, a semba member.

Tell Dorthy to over nite the queens and feed the colonies them till they won't take any more. Make sure you kill the old queen a day or so before installing the new queen.

:mrgreen: Al

5. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

Thanks for the source. I can usually get local ones, but the supply isn't always guaranteed. Its nice to have a backup if needed. Thanks again.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have had good luck with phils queens in iowa. But he doesnt breed many queens so sometimes he is hard to get queens from. I personally prefer to raise my own. But when I do order I order from him