Need a queen!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Jul 23, 2011.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

After giving the cut out bees some time to repair what we did, I opened them up today.
    All the while they've seemed happily working away. They've repaired/tied all the cut comb together. Frames are packed with honey and pollen.
    Thing is, not an egg or larvae is to be seen. :cry: All the caps are emerged. Even looks like two queen cells were built/open. But I can't remember if they were there when we put all things together.
    There are LOTS of open cells, with sign of egg laying.
    The hive isn't humming, they're just working away, building wax on their old comb, hadn't touched the Pierco yet. :(

Sooooo, I need a queen, any idea where to a reliable queen, quickly?

thanks

2. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

You can try the member tecumseh,he has some good Cordovan queens,but I did ask him last week for one(thought I had a queenless hive but didn't) and he said was too hot to rear them right now where he located in Texas.

3. rast

rast New Member

4. melrose

melrose New Member

OK, dang.... this is frustrating.
    Just came from the yard. Opened up the queenless hive to see if they've started making queen cells with the larvae that I gave them on Sat. Remember from another post that I had 16 med frames of empty brood cells.
    When we showed up today the bees were everywhere, not the usual thing for these guys lately.
    We opened up to see what I had done wrong. The only thing that I thought was the bees from the other hive was invading.
    Upon frame inspection we spotted a QUEEN walking around. WTH??
    I just knew that I had missed her when I tranferred a frame over.
    We closed up, and went to the hive that I took the frame out of. Not hearing the queenless buzzing had me confused. We opened up, inspected the top box that was full of nector and honey.... and found tiny larvae, disregarded that since it had been only three days since I made the swap.
    On frame three lo and behold a HUGE queen.

So, I guess the cut out hive made a new queen, she was hiding or out mating when I inspected on Sat. We did the cut out on July 5, 21 days ago, so she would have hatch very recently if given a couple of days for the bees to figure out that they were queenless.

We went ahead and took a couple frames for a 5 nuke to use one queen, now I'm hustling to make use of the other queen.

If anyone has knowledge of an apiarist in my area, Syracuse NY, that might hand down some frames of stock for us to use the other queen, please contact me.

Thanks for all the insight through this matter