Need Advice from Queen Rearers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Flyman, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Need to know what the problem may be. I graft 24 larvae into JZBZ cell cups and put them in a starter colony. All appears fine out of the starter with approximately 80% take. After 24 hours I put them in a queen right finisher. Two mediums with a queen excluder between them. The queen IS in the lower unit. A look at the cells at about 4 days after grafting show about 50 to 70 % take. I didn't look again for about 8 days. Only 6 to 8 cells remain. At day 13 only 3 cells remain. What Gives? Hive is extremely strong and I rotate the uncapped brood up about every 8 to 12 days. Cells that do make are beautiful. Would like to have a few more make it to finish. Any tips out there? This is the third time about the same thing has happened.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've never done any grafting myself so i can't help, maybe tec. can help you sorry. Jack

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

1)was the hive in which the cells were placed in any way subjected to coolish temperatures? anything approaching 50 would be critical.

2)was the 'finisher' hive in which the cells were place fed constantly?

3)somewhat associated with 1 and 2 above was the finishing hive crowded?

4. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Hi E.T. In response to your questions....the first batch got a snow (so temp below 50, yes). I am feeding the finisher constantly and I do consider it crowded. So much so that when I worked it last, I took a few bees and brood to strengthen another hive. Going to put another batch in the starter today. BTW, I make the starter "fresh" for every batch of cells.

Temps have been in the upper 50's and 60's at night lately. For all the batches I keep the starter in the barn overnight. I can run a heater also if it's necessary.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy Flyman:
    Since I pretty much do my stuff outside I really notice those cells at the ends of the bars get culled at the highest rate. Those toward the center of the bar less so. Cold temperature after the cells are sealed seems to really effect emergence. By next year I hope to have an outside room with a controllable heat source.

How long do you let the starter set before introducing cells?

Do you place unsealed brood above the excluder with the cells?

6. Flyman

Flyman New Member

I think the cold temp thing is hitting the nail on the head. The first batch got snowed on and the second batch (I left town for 6 days after putting them in the finisher) got down to 38 one night. Just put more in the finisher this morning and coming out of the starter got a take of 20 out of 24. Should be warmer at night for a while. We'll see how this works.

To answer questions...I let the cells stay in the starter for 20 to 24 hours, work the finisher every 8 to 12 days and put uncapped brood in the upper and the capped brood in the lower. Last time, I had so much capped brood I had to make a couple of nucs to make space. Really a heavy flow going here right now. Lots of Vetch, clover and wildflowers.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

20 of 24 is pretty dog gone good Flyman.. a real feather in your bonnet... I mean bee veil.

we are having what appears to be a banner here also, if I can just keep the girls in their boxes.

8. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Now what you mean about keeping them in their boxes. My wife thinks I'm crazy for going on swarm partol 2 or 3 times a day. They always seem to come when you don't really have time to deal with it.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Just as a loose guide most hive will swarm at or about 10 am to 12 noon here. I think perhaps each and every hive has a swarming supervisor that rings a bell and declares 'swarming time'.

and no Flyman you wife doesn't think you are crazy, she knows you are crazy.