Need Advice on a Newly Hived Swarm

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jim314, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

I caught one of my own swarms last weekend. I placed one frame of capped brood from another hive to try and anchor them since I lost two swarms previously. So far this seems to be working. I checked this evening and they are filling 10 frames of a deep. I am feeding them on top of the inner cover. They are taking some, only 1/2 quart so far, but there are a lot of bees just hanging out in the empty space on top of the inner cover. The question is should I add another deep of undrawn foundation, or should I wait until they have drawn out 70% of the first deep?
    jim

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

either get a proper hive top feeder or invest in boardman feeder either way get the telescopic cover on. Is there a nectar flow going on, if so they will be slow to take the syrup. Not sure about your area, but here in Florida, tons of pollen, very little nectar so far, but know that will be changing shortly ( I hope lol).
    Barry

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks Barry, I wasn't clear on the feeding. I have a boardman feeder sitting on top of an inner cover surrounded by an empty deep. A telescopic cover is over the empty deep. This is the way I've feed all my hives. And yes, there is a flow going on. It's been going for a month now. Strange weather.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I know your thinking is to prevent robbing using the boardman feeder inside a empty super, if there is a nectar flow on the probabilities of robbing is slight particualrly if your using the medium slot of entrance reducer. If your colony is building up nicely, then for ventilation purposes, since you have the bees to protect the full entrance, just the feeder no reducer.
    Barry

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks, you're right, I'm using the medium reducer and I have a ventilated shim above the empty deep. Do you think I should add another deep, or let them build out what they have before adding another? I just don't want them to leave like the other two.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I would not add another brood chamber untill they fill out the first one--which they should do in a few weeks, so have one available the general rule is wait for 8 drawn frames, and working on the others before adding second. assuming your using foundation.
    Barry

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks, yes I'm using foundation. I'll wait.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

give the bees foundation before thier ready to draw it, they will chew on it to use parts of it elsewhere, lol then when they finally do draw it out they seldom fill in the holes. And if plastic wax coated foundation if they expose the plastic they will never draw it out.
    Barry

9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Why would you move your feeder over to the entrance? The way you have it now is better. The syrup will be warmer and bees have better access to it when clustered. You can also go to Home Depot and buy the 2 1/2 qt. Versa-tainer buckets and use them as feeders. They work great over your inner cover hole.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

glad to see the tornado did not blow you and bees away...

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This time of year it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. In mid summer, the inside way is mandatory.

The main concern is if the bees have access to to area of the cover super. If so, they will draw comb from the telescoping lid before drawing out the foundation.

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree Charlieb, and I'll check out the Versa-tainer.
    Thanks Tecumseh, too bad so many others weren't as lucky.
    Iddee, I've never had that happen, yet :)

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I placed one frame of capped brood from another hive to try and anchor them since I lost two swarms previously. So far this seems to be working.

tecumseh
    I would guess that one or two frames of drawn comb would help some, sealed brood a bit more than just drawn comb and very young brood even more than sealed brood. as far as I am concerned any swarm (with a package of bees pretty much being a swarm in a box) feeding some is not optional.

14. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree, they are really going through the 1:1 syrup.