Need Advice!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I removed a colony from a friends farm house and relocated them to a hive on my farm. This was Saturday, I checked them Tuesday and everything looked great; however yesterday I noticed there was no activity around the front of the hive so I looked in and they were gone. I located them in a tree about 30 yards away and re-captured them and put them back in the original hive and closed off the entrance. I am feeding them through a top feeder but how long should I keep them closed up or should I not? The temps are nearing 90 + for the next few days....What are the chances they will swarm again when I reduce the entrance.

Free Bee's aren't really free are they!

Thanks,
    Hog Wild

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Is there brood in the box? Hopefully yes
    Is there SHB in the box? Hopefully no
    Do they have room in the box without being crowded? Hopefully yes
    Do they have too much room? Hopefully no
    Are other hives trying to get to the feeder? Hopefully no

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Is there brood in the box? Hopefully yes-No they are in a a new hive body with new foundation.

Is there SHB in the box? Hopefully no-No

Do they have room in the box without being crowded? Hopefully yes-They are in a 10 frame box with 8 frames in it.

Do they have too much room? Hopefully no- I don't think so, it appeared to be about a 3 lb swarm based upon packages that I purchased and had success with.

Are other hives trying to get to the feeder? Hopefully no - I don't think so, they are pretty well established and a ways from this particular one.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you didnt mention weather this was a cutout or a swarm. if it was a swarm i would reduce the entrance. give them a frame of brood from the other hive to help anchor them into there new home. be carefull with 8 frames in a 10 frame box you may end up with a mess where there is no frames. If it is a cut out are you sure you got the queen. Some times for reasons unknow bees dont like there new home and will abscond all you can do is do the things that are know to help and hope they stay. and you are correct there is no such thing as free bees

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

It was what I would call a semi cut out, another guy went in and half a**ed it and I did the clean out/clean up. That is why I did not mess with any of the brood cause it was pretty hacked up and a buddy of mine rears queens so I got one from him. I am pretty sure that I did not get the original queen as I only removed about 3 - 4 lbs for myself and gave the others to a guy trying to get started himself. I am pretty sure the orig. queen went to him but I am going to help him check his out tomorrow and should know for sure.I used a vacuum style system to remove the bee's trying my best not to get the queen in my box.

Should I put the reducer back in this evening so that they don't get overheated or keep them contained for a while? It is pushing 90 - 95 degree's here and I have a 2 gal top feeder on them with 1 gal. sugar water and the other side with 1 gal. straight water.

I have plenty of brood in my other hives maybe I will give that a shot too.

Thanks!

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

How was the new queen interduced? Was she a laying queen or a virgin?

Yes by all means add a frame of brood.

:mrgreen: Al

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

She was in a release cage, I put her in on Sunday and she had been released and was in there late Tuesday. She was supposed to be a laying queen??? I was going to check that out tomorrow until I realized they had swarmed on me yesterday.

Should I put the reducer back in this evening so that they don't get overheated or keep them contained for a couple of days?

Thanks

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you keep them contained, do so with a screen. Ventilation is an absolute necessity.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes, make sure they get some good ventilation and are not closed up altogether in 95F heat. Use a screen for entrance, prop the top of the covers up in front ponly with a thin popsicle type stick, not enough for bees to escape but providing ventilation. I read about a guy who recently cooked his new bees by closing up all their entrances in 90F...very sad for both him and the bees.