Need advice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by elena, Sep 17, 2012.

1. elena

elena New Member

Hello! How do you understand how much honey you can take from the hive and how much you should leave them.

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Hi elena, here in Ontario we overwinter our bees in two full deeps, everything above it we harvest.
    Sometimes if less than 50% of honey in the top deep is capped I leave it on the hive, so some of my colonies go to the winter 3 deeps high. I still have some frames of honey from 2011. All those extra frames of honey are great to have when doing spring splits or making nucs.
    In the south were winters are short and mild sometimes a deep and a shallow are good setting for the winter.
    It varies depending on your climate zone.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

experience.

if you are in a place with a constant flow then you can remove quite a bit or if you have a long time period between when one nectar flow stops and another begins then you need to leave a lot.

I myself have no idea of the season you might face in thailand. in most places the length of winter will somewhat determine how much honey you need to leave (or feed).... all of this can be somewhat to highly determined by weight.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Chiang Mai has hot season, rainy season, and cool season. in the cool season temperatures are around 20 degrees celsius. basically the bees can forage year round. I have little knowledge of bee keeping in warm climates, but it seems like 5 frames of capped honey should be enough to get them through short droughts or rainy spells and you can always feed them sugar water if their reserves run low. I spent two winters on Kok Tao, it is a beautiful country you have.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think the hard numbers suggest that in most places 22kg of feed is essential to overwinter (ie no flow seasons) bees in most places. even though here the bees can fly in almost any week (we do have short term periods of cold temperature) I would suspect about the same quantity of feed is required here.

ps... there should be some pictures in the photo section of my own attempt at documenting the weight of hives and thereby informing me of how much I needed to feed.