need advise on moving the queen down

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mdunc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Two of my hives consist of a deep hive body & medium hive body. I want to change both to double deeps but have a little problem. In both hives my queens are up in the medium body so my question is....whats the best way to get her in the bottom deep? I was planning on doing one of the following but thought I would ask you ladies & gentlemen.

1) move the queen down & separate her from the medium hive body with a queen excluder & when all the brood has hatched remove the medium and replace with deep or...

2) reverse the hive body's & when the queen moves up in the deep & all the brood has hatched remove the medium and replace with deep.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

#2 will work, but #1 will work best.

3. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Ok...thanks for the help Iddee.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like Iddee said, both will work, but #1 will work much quicker.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The medium above the excluder will get filled with honey as the brood emerges and you will have a mixed bag of medium frames. What would happen if you reversed the boxes and placed the excluder between the then lower medium and the upper deep with the queen. That way as the medium hatches out it would be less likely to have honey in it.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my caution to ya' no matter which you choose is to do this after any late night temperatures dips are a concern. separating bodies with brood and feed in almost any fashion you do runs the risk of isolating the queen in one box as the cluster moves up or down.

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Tec, I guess I'm a bit hard-headed. Please explain how the queen would get isolated. Thanks!:thumbsup:

8. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Yea I've been waiting for the warmer temps. I hope there here finally.:beg:

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

litefoot,

If you separate the two boxes with a queen excluder, the cluster may move from one box to the other and the queen cannot follow.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nicely and sweetly said Ablanton.

and as far as I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with either being hard headed or asking questions. matter of fact if I have any quality that makes me a better beekeeper it is both of this attributes. I myself consider both to be essential qualities of any good beekeeper.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Two of my hives consist of a deep hive body & medium hive body. I want to change both to double deeps but have a little problem. In both hives my queens are up in the medium body so my question is....whats the best way to get her in the bottom deep? I was planning on doing one of the following but thought I would ask you ladies & gentlemen.

1) move the queen down & separate her from the medium hive body with a queen excluder & when all the brood has hatched remove the medium and replace with deep or...

2) reverse the hive body's & when the queen moves up in the deep & all the brood has hatched remove the medium and replace with deep.
    "

what everyone said here, but this is what i would do. i would wait for the queen and bees to move down to your deep, and when she does, then put on the excluder between your deep and medium.

12. mdunc

mdunc New Member

I dont trust her to move down on her own.
    Seems they always want to move up.

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

If you physically move the queen to another box it should already have a fair bit of brood in it. If it is populated mainly with bees drawing out or cleaning up old comb they would likely abandon that if it turns cold and the main brood is in the other box. If the queen is prevented by an excluder she could well be left behind as in Tec's scenario. Temperature is probably key. If the conditions are iffy you likely have potentially more to lose than gain by forcing a move.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I dont trust her to move down on her own.
    Seems they always want to move up.
    "

when your queen is laying in that medium, and/or she starts to run out of room, the bees will expand and move down into open cells, naturally, and all by themselves.
    in the spring i don't reverse. the queen moves down. when i need to change out equipment, or move a hive body around, i employ the same method as i said in my earlier post. they move down, and given you place empty space above, ie, your new deep, they expand back up.