Need an Opinion

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Hey Guys , Everyone has heard about what happened with my order from a suppler. I found someone selling some stuff . Anyone one have an opinion of this as far as price? Also what should I check for with used equipment? What do you think a fair counter offer woul be?

" $320 for a complete hive (without bees) consisting of 2 deep or 3 medium supers with frames on wax foundation comprising the brood chamber, 2 medium honey supers with frames on plastic foundation, an IPM bottom board, an inner cover, an outer cover, a queen excluder, an entrance reducer 2 irmie shims for the honey supers. I have one or two available now

I have 1 to 3 hives for sale total with one to two seasons on them. The equipment is meticously square and painted. I do not treat my hives. I have misc. extra equipment, frames and foundation. I am selling them because I have a newborn child and my wife thinks my hobby takes up too much of my time. I list varying availability because i have people who have expressed sincere intrest, but have yet to give me a deposit. I would be willing to give them all to the first person with cash, as i am really trying to free my time"

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It sounds like used, home made equip. New and commercially made is about 1/3 that price. I wouldn't give him more than 50.00 for it.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Indy, you're comparing Mann Lake new commercially produced equip. to homemade, used equip. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

And still 60 bucks difference

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I you are seriously considering $320 , just order new Kit from Mannlake, Dadant, or Brushy Mountain. They will ship within a day and be with you early next week.

Unless someone is giving you a working hive, bees and all, I would stick with new woodenware. A complete hive plus 3 hrs labor for a non woodworker is only $70 plus shipping. Some suppliers offer reduced or free shipping for new beeks.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Definitely NOT a good deal. I paid $300 for a deep and super with plasticell frames and bees delivered last year and still feel I didn't get a great deal, especially when the bees turned out to have a whopping case of varroa - she didn't treat, figured hbh in the sugar water was enough, not even powdered sugar or a sbb with oil. And she told me to put the hive in deep shade - it was a mess, loaded with wax moth, bees absconded within a couple of months. The equipment was homemade, holes in the corners, overall ratty condition. It taught me to shop. but I did get my hands sticky.

Gypsi

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thank you all. If not for you replying I would have made a big mistake. I will go with all new I think I I will be getting 2 of these

http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/NEWBeeGear/HiveKit/tabid/315/Default.aspx

Assambled and painted.. I am just waiting for the shipping Quote. The reason I am getting 2 is that I want the the deeps for the brood and was going to do shallow for honey but it was suggested by a few to use med for honey. And aleast I would have a med setup incase of a swarm on hand. Am I on the right path?

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am with the rest, I am getting a new hive kit and bees for 270.00 so you are going the right way on new stuff.

kebee

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Medic--the REAL reason for starting with two hives is because with two families, you can always have a second to help you out of trouble if something gets really messed up--like a hive absconding, accidentally killing your queen, etc. It's like a plane having two engines to keep you in the air if one fails.:rules:

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

The big problem for me is shipping...

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I completely understand that.. getting my wife to agree to one was hard enough.. I know once I have my foot in the door the second will be easy. I figure maybe I could catch a swarm and she would never know..lol

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

IMO Too high!

Bottom board, 2 deeps w/frames and foundation, 2 mediums w/frames and foundation, q.e. inner cover, telescoping outer cover, $132.00 KD or $150 assembled, and real nice stuff!
    Fuel to go get it at 14 mpg @$4.00 gal. = $51.40.
    Nice daytrip through the countryside with the family = priceless!
    You could have 2 complete hives and the fuel to go get them for less than $320.00
    Exit 2 on the NJTP awaits.....coulda' been back and had the hives painted by now....lol:grin:

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Unless you cannot lift 50lbs , go with mediums for Honey, shallows are not ideal unless later after your apprenticeship is over and you want to go comb honey, then you can use a shallow for comb honey with something like Ross Rounds.

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Everyone thank you again for all your feedback. I ordered today from :

http://www.honeybeehabitat.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

What I ordered is 2 hive kits, each consisting of the following:
    Includes:
    (1) Telescoping Lid
    (1) Inner Cover
    (1) Medium Super (Finger Joint)
    (10) Medium Frames, Assembled with Pierco
    (1) Deep Hive Body (Finger Joint)
    (10) Deep Frames, Assembled with Pierco
    (1) Screened Bottom Board
    (1) Screened Bottom Board Tray
    (1) Entrance Reducer
    (1) Entrance Feeder

All completly assambled and painted for $112 Each shipping on both sets will be about $65 (total) .. so complete $289 ... so $30 less the the used and got few more items...

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Glad you got it squared away Medic. The adventure begins! Time to secure a line of credit at the bank! :lol:

I must be reading it wrong because I can't understand how half the equiptment can be nearly twice the price. :think:

Don't get me wrong...these prices seem in line with all the other online bee supply places....just not my local place here in S. Jersey. I think my place must be a wholesaler that allows walk in customers.

You did better than I did on my first bee hive purchase. :thumbsup:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wish you were closer. A beek called me today and asked if I could sell 5 hives for him. He said they are 3 lb. packages with queen installed in all NEW 10 frame deeps two weeks ago. The queens are out and laying profusely. The flow is on and they have nectar and pollen stored. He is asking 200 each for them.

PS. If anyone local wants them, 4 are still available.

17. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Iddee I wish.... but thanks for rubbin it in this yankee's face...lol

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks Eddy . I glad its squared away too... I dont understand what you mean by the quote above. Mann Lake had a setup for $269 delivered ... but for the extra $20 I am getting an extra bottom and inner and outter cover. Where is the place in NJ Exit 1 on the NJ Pike ..lol

19. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member