Need feeding advice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tommyssally, May 14, 2012.

1. tommyssally

tommyssally New Member

I'm a new beekeeper. I just installed two nucs yesterday. I gave them each about 3 cups of sugar syrup. Today it is raining...all day...and tomorrow is supposed to be raining all day again. My question....should I feed them more because it is raining since they won't get out? or will feeding them more make them want to store it instead of making more brood?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:
    It is always a good idea to feed nucs when they are first installed. Feed them 1 to 1 strup and feed until they stop taking it (usually when they have a flow they prefer). Your bees will be trying to draw out frames with new comb and this is a great deal of work and use of resources for them. They will not be likely to be "storing" it at this point, it will be used quickly.
    If you get a chance, introduce yourselves in the introduction thread and you may discover members in your area, which can only be a good thing! :mrgreen:

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Your new nucs will have a very strong urge to build new comb and raise more brood. As soon as it stops raining I would give them each plenty of syrup for at least 2 or 3 weeks, til they get up and running.
    Think of it sort of like if someone dropped you and your family suddenly into a log cabin in the middle of the wilderness with no supplies at all and just left you there. Don't you think it would be good if they left a couple weeks' worth of food for you, so that you had something to live on while you were getting settled in and figuring out how to forage for food in the woods?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I understand the op has nucs, not packages. They should have food stored. I would feed them and check them in depth weekly until your first box is fully drawn and the second box is added. I would stop feeding at that time and watch to see if the growth continued. Feed after that as needed. Again, check them weekly until you feel you can judge their condition with fewer checks.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tommyssally,
    just to add to perry and iddee's advice, it is not about feeding them whether it is raining or not. feeding a nucleus hive syrup is standard practice; it will stimulate brood production, drawing of foundation and will feed your bees, because you do not have the forager force to bring in enough to take care of all. it is a good practice to feed nucs as both perry and iddee recommended until they stop taking it, or with foundation being drawn, until it is drawn, and with checks thereafter, feed as needed. some of this syrup will be stored and some not, but they will need this 'kick start'.

btw, WELCOME to the forum!