Need help requeening

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by paint504, Jun 21, 2015.

1. paint504

paint504 Member

ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1434933788.515173.jpg ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1434933848.244802.jpg ok so I found emergency cells the other day and confirmed that the queen was in fact missing. Now do I cut the queen cells out before sticking my new queen in there or should I just leave them alone?

2. paint504

paint504 Member

The hive is a little over 3 weeks old not sure what happened to the queen.

3. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Thus is my first year beek. I was told in the same situation to cut them out an before you try an place a new queen in.

4. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

An I was also told in my other hive not to put a new queen an let nature take its course both cases have worked well for me

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Joseph, I would let them hatch their own queen for now.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I am assuming you are a new keeper. The safest option would be to leave the hive alone to raise their own new queen. You might want to leave the hive alone for 3 to 4 weeks for the new queen to emerge, get mated and start layng. It can take several weeks for a new queen to start laying. Checking the hive frequently will upset the colony and it can take a few days for a hive to settle down after a visit.

Culling the Q cells and introducing a new Q now has the advantage of new brood being started sooner. A drawback would be if the new Q is not accepted. You would then be back to square one with less options.

7. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

My vote: Assuming you are not under time pressure from mid season dearth or decline, stick as close to nature as possible, your Q cells are already made. If you are lucky: < 2 weeks to hatch, another few days to mate and start laying.

If you are standing there with a bought Q in your hand, try to make a small split.

8. paint504

paint504 Member

I'd rather let nature take it's course but my only concern was that this hive is 3 weeks old and I'm concerned about the bees dieing off before the new queen has a chance to replenish.

9. paint504

paint504 Member

What's your thoughts on that?

10. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

I have five hives now my first two I started on new equipment with 1 frame of drown comb each they were packages of bees an two queens. Just as they started to lay they either killed the queens or I did the first week in. I checked both hives the second week an found in hive 2 (12) capped queen cells . I was told to take one frame that had some of the queen cells an put it into hive 1. So I did that didn't mess with them other than feeding them for about 16 days. When I took a look 16 days later with a guy from my bee club we found both hives had new queens eggs an larva. They were a little week but survived well. Now they are booming. Hope this helps you

11. paint504

paint504 Member

Well I thank you guys for your responses. I think I'll just wait 3 weeks and see what happens. The old queen did lay some eggs before she died so I'm hoping that will help.

12. Gypsi

I have noticed that nucs occasionally requeen themselves early, not sure why. Maybe the queen is injured in moving?

13. paint504

paint504 Member

Mine were package bees. Not sure what happened to the queen she was laying very nicely and then Vanished like a fart in the wind.

14. Gypsi